Chapter 17

4 Days before Valentine's Day.

"Remember, you have only three days left to hand-in this project. I suggest you all get a move on and get things done as soon as possible. I want these handed in, in time or it's your grades that will suffer the consequeces." Mrs. Holmes warned from the front of the classroom.

I made the mistake of making eye contact with her and her dark eyes pierced through mine as she glared back at me,  I quickly looked away to avoid her gaze. Dylan and Aaron had a football match and was missing fourth period which was Art. Emma sat next to me to avoid the shame of being sat alone. 

"Have you thought about what I said the other day?" She asked, not looking up from her painting.

"A bit," I admitted.

"And...?"

I sighed, "I might, kind of, just a bit, like Dylan." I winced, not sure of what Emma would say.

She looked up and grinned, "I knew it!" she exclaimed.

A few heads turned to look at us and I ducked down under their cold gazes. "Shush! Don't go screaming it to the entire world!" I scolded her.

Emma frowned, "Sorry," she whispered.

"Don't whisper either, it's too suspicious. Just talk quieter." I told her and she nodded.

"So what are you going to do?" Emma asked, raising her eyebrows in question.

"I don't know," I whined.

She shook her head in thought, "Well, you better figure it out." She said

"Thanks for that. That's so helpful." I said sarcastically.

"Sorry, I'm not Oprah!" 

"But, you're my bestfriend and you're supposed to help me," I argued.

"How about," she paused for a moment. "You listen to your heart." she advised.

"Wow. Great advice, Em! I definitely know what that means!" I exclaimed sarcastically and groaned.

Emma shrugged, "Yeah, that's the best I got."

"What am I going to do?!" I buried my head into my hands, letting my hair form a curtain around my face.

"Do what I told you, listen to your heart." Emma repeated. 

"It's not like I can go up to Jason and say, 'Hey, I'm sorry but I like your cousin more than I like you so I'll date him instead.' Like, that's going to end well."

"Well, you're not going to say those exact words but something along those lines," she said calmly.

I glared at her, "Really, Emma?"

"You are going to break up with him, aren't you?"

"I don't know!" I cried.

"This is far too complicated," Emma pointed out, brushing a strand of her hair out of her face.

"State the obvious much?"

"Hey! Don't give me sass. I'm trying to help," she reminded me.

"I know, sorry." I apologised. "I'm still going to have to go to the dance with him, though."

"What? Are you crazy? What are you going to do, go with him to the dance then break up with him the day after?"

"Would that be stupid?" I asked crinkling my nose.

"Extremely." Emma asnwered.

"Great. Just great. Then I don't know what I'm doing." I groaned.