Chapter 9 - Part 1

19 Days to Valentine’s Day

“WAKE UP SLEEPYHEAD!” Dylan shouted into my ear.

“Holy crap!” I cried out. I jumped in surprise and fell off the sofa. I landed on the floor with a thud and I groaned out in pain.

“AHAHA!” Dylan guffawed.

“What the hell is going on in here?” Jason asked when he walked into the living room. He saw me on the floor rubbing the back of my head and he quickly ran over to me, “Are you okay?” he asked sounding genuinely concerned.

“I’m fine. I just had the crap scared out of me,” I explained, glaring daggers at Dylan and pushed myself up.

Jason scowled at Dylan who scowled back, “You were meant to wake her up, not make her go deaf and give her another concussion.” Jason spat.

Here we go again.

Dylan opened his mouth to say something back but I cut him off.

 “I’m fine.” I said and grabbed Jason sleeve and tugged him towards the door. “Now let’s just eat breakfast. I’m hungry.”

Jason hesitated to follow me into the kitchen and glared at Dylan one more time before putting his hand on the small of my back to lead me out of the room.

“Butthead, retard -” I heard Dylan swearing under his breath as he trudged behind us. I craned my neck around for a second to frown at him but he only rolled his eyes, pointed at Jason and stuck his middle finger up.

How childish. But it’s Dylan so it was kind of expected.

“Hey, you’re up.” Emma glanced over at me and turned back towards the stove.

“Sit down, we got this.” Aaron pulled a chair out and gestured for me to sit down.

“Erm...okay?” I sat down. “Am I dreaming? This is a dream, isn’t it?”

Jason laughed at me and sat down on the chair next to mine, “No, this isn’t a dream. Emma and Aaron are making us breakfast and has even set out the table.”

“Then this is some kind of parallel universe.” I said.

“Nope.” Dylan replied, setting a stack of pancakes in front of me before walking around the table to sit opposite me.

“What a crazy morning,” I chuckled. “Something is definitely wrong.”

Emma laughed loudly, making all three of turn our heads to see what was going on. She was still stood over the stove obviously laughing at something Aaron had said. I know because he was smirking and she lightly bumped him with her hip.

“Care to tell us what’s so funny?” Dylan asked Aaron who was still smirking.

“Nah, dude. Never mind.” Aaron replied, smiling.

“You can’t do that! Tell us!” Dylan exclaimed but Aaron didn’t reply.

“Emma? Care to share?” I asked her.

She shook her head violently while biting down on her lip to suppress her laughter. “Nuh-uh.” She mumbled.

“Come on! I’m your best friend!” I reasoned.

Emma shook her head again before grabbing the rest of the stack of pancakes and sat down next to Dylan. Aaron sat down moments later at the head of the table. Everything was quiet for a few minutes while everyone ate.

I decided to break the silence, “So...” I began and they all looked up from their plates. “Dylan and Jason are cousins. How about that,” I said awkwardly.