Chapter 6 - Part 2

I practically ran to the changing rooms for fifth period. I threw my bag in my gym locker, jammed my head and arms through my P.E shirt and jumped into my shorts before shoving my feet into my running shoes.

Jason was probably outside playing football or something. I wouldn’t be able to be like near him or anything because I’m running track but, I’ll be close enough. I can just run as fast as I can so I’ll run past the football field more and slow down so I can stare. Wow. Does that sound creepy? Whatever. I don’t even care.

        “I’ll see you, later!” Emma walked in the changing room just as I was running out onto the field.

        “What? Whe-“ She tried to say but I never heard the rest of her sentence. I was already outside, the cold air hitting my face and making goose bumps appear on my arms.

        “Hey, Ms. Taylor. I think I’m going to go ahead and run some laps.” I waved and sprinted off.

        “Someone’s eager today.” She said sounding bored and started her stopwatch.

The football field is where I’m most likely to see Jason. Here’s my plan, I’ll run past and slow down, stare and wave casually so I don’t seem weird or anything. Hopefully, I won’t do something embarrassing like trip over my own feet and fall flat on my face.

But now that I’ve said that, I’m afraid that I’ve just jinxed it.

Crap.

I pushed myself harder, increasing my speed. My legs started to ache and my body felt hot as my heart raced faster and faster. Oh no. I immediately slowed down. I can’t push myself too hard because otherwise by the time I run past, I’ll be all sweaty and I’ll look gross.

I slowed down even more when I started to hear the sound of shouting and grunting from the guys playing football. I tried to casually crane my neck around trying to spot Jason but its rather hard to crane your neck and pretend to ‘casually’ just be looking when it’s quite obvious that you’re looking for someone.

I spotted someone running towards the goal and they had sandy blond hair. That must be Jason. But then, he turned around. Nope. It’s just Brad.

There!

Nope. Just Kieran.

I looked everywhere. I wasn’t even running anymore, or even jogging. I was walking. I spotted Aaron and Dylan and watched them score goal after goal but I never saw Jason. Where the hell is he?

        “Give me an E, give me an R! What does that spell? Winner!” Then all their cheers collapsed to excited squeals. I now reached the cheerleading squad. Great.

I don’t understand why girls would want to be in that ‘crowd’ so much. I mean, you’re walking around looking, dare I say it? Tramp-ish. Yeah, you’re popular and people know who you are and everything. But, after high school would it even matter if you were popular or not?

        “Hey, Em!” I waved.

Emma waved back with pom-poms still in her hand. Then she went back to her place in their formation. I watched as they threw her into the air and she performed a couple of flips in the air.

My best friend is in the cheer leading squad. She’s a flyer –you know, the one that gets thrown in the air. She’s not a bitch or even remotely cruel or mean. She’s not one of those clichéd cheerleaders. Unfortunately, about eighty percent of the squad was. I think they idolised the girls from that movie ‘Mean Girls’, I have no idea why. But, I think it’s ridiculous and completely stupid.