Chapter 12 - Part 1

17 days before Valentine’s Day.

Jason’s P.O.V

I didn’t actually head upstairs after I left the kitchen, leaving Avery with her eyes wide and mouth open after I lifted my shirt up. Instead I eavesdropped on Dylan and Avery’s conversation. I heard every word and the worry in Dylan’s voice when he asked her what she had said to me.

I walked out of the kitchen,smiling smugly after I saw Avery’s reaction when I lifted up my shirt.

“What are you smiling at?” Dylan questioned, narrowing his eyes at me from the top of the stairs and held a firm grip on the banister and the blanket wrapped around him.

I smirked, “Just been talking to Avery.” I shook my head slightly and chuckled, “Such an interesting conversation.” I paused and matched his blue gaze with mine.“That’s all.” I shrugged.

I watched as his jaw clenched and I smiled. He quickly shuffled down the stairs, bumping my shoulder as he dashed past me.

It’s so easy to get into his head. Especially when it comes to Avery.

I parked my car and jumped out of my Volvo, slinging my bag over my shoulder. I have to get ahead on this. Dylan is not going to steal another girl from me. Not this time. My hands ball into fists and my jaw clenches at the thought of Avery and Dylan together. I have to do something, and soon.

I strode through the mass of students in the hallway and quickly spotted Avery through the crowd. She was putting her books in her locker.

Perfect, I thought and quickly walked towards her.

She put her last textbook in her locker and I quickly shut it, making her jump. “Hey,” I said, leaning on her locker.

Avery’s eyebrows furrowed, “Hey,” she replied. “Are you in a bad mood?” she asked. “Or do you just go around slamming people’s lockers shut?” she shrugged.

“Didn’t you hear? I’m the official locker closer.” I joked and she tried to supress a grin.

“Funny,” She said, biting her lip to stop herself from smiling.

I folded my arms across my chest, “Go out with me tonight.” I blurted out.

Avery’s eyes widened, “W-what?” she stammered obviously taken aback by my question.

I shrugged, “You heard me. Are you doing anything tonight?” I asked, raising an eyebrow at her in question.

She shook her head and muttered, “No, but-” she started but I interrupted her.

“Then it’s a date. I’ll pick you up at six.” I said and walked away, disappearing into the crowd before she could reply.

I didn’t bother going to Calculus. Instead, I headed to the field and ran laps while deciding on the best way to tell Dylan. I smiled to myself knowing that he can’t do anything. He stayed at home because he’s sick, probably from sitting outside in the cold at the party we went to on Saturday.

He’s a selfish, cocky asshole who doesn’t deserve someone like Avery. She’s better off with me than him. She’s falling for him, I know it. But I can’t let that happen. Dylan doesn’t deserve her and she deserves someone better than some guy who doesn’t care about anyone but himself.

That was all I  could think of for the rest of the day. I couldn’t concentrate on anything else.

***  ***  ***  ***  ***  ***

I unlocked the front door and ran upstairs to take a shower and get changed. By the time I finished it was 5:45. I headed down the hall and knocked on Dylan’s bedroom door.