So what now

I woke up in a hospital bed. No one was in the room, but there was a jacket on the chair. I could hear shuffling through the halls. My arm was bandaged up still. I wasn't in much pain though.

The sound of muffled voices trailed outside the doors as people walked, I could see white doctors coats on some and teal scrubs on others, Then, occasionally a person in regular clothing, or maybe someone with a child. The normal hospital flow of things I guess.

I wondered when a nurse or a doctor would come in and check on me, or at least inform me about Tyler's wellbeing. There were no windows, and I couldn't seem to find a clock to tell what time it was, or even if it was the next day. I scanned the room for a source of contact with someone, and i saw a little red button next to the hospital bed labeled "nurse". I pressed it. About a minute later a woman who looked to be in her mid 30's strolled in with a clipboard in hand. She had dark brown shoulder length hair and she was pretty short. She smiled at me, but her eyes had a weary look. It made me anxious.

"Glad you're awake, sweetheart", she said, "how are you feeling?"

"Physically? I'm better, but mentally, I'm stressed. Also a little worried".

"And that is what I expected from you", she said, sighing. I braced myself for her response, I was afraid she would tell me something I didn't want to hear.

"Well, my name is Nurse Tamayo, It is... 1:36 am", she said , pausing to check her watch, "your friend is okay, he was in the ICU all night, but they moved him to a regular room after his surgery was successful. He should be fine in a short amount of time. It will probably take some therapy and some healing time, but chances are he could wake up and be back to his normal self immediately."

I sighed in relief, tears welling in my eyes. "When can I see him? Can I please see him?", I asked, my voice was choked up.

She gave me a look, as if she was trying to figure out how to respond.

"Well... before you do that, I have a few people who would like to speak to you first"

She looked at the door and I saw two figures standing against the wall. She motioned for them to come in, and they did.

"Hello, Ms.Davison, my name is Detective Janice Lima, and this is Officer Daniel James", a tall, slim,  African American woman said, motioning towards a caucasian man with dark hair and a golden badge. He nodded towards me.

"I'll leave you guys to talk", nurse Tamayo said, standing up to leave the room.

"Thank you, Nurse, it shouldn't be too long", Detective Lima said. When the door closed, she turned back to me. Officer James sat in a seat facing me also.

"So, Ms. Davison, tell me about what happened last night"

I gathered my thoughts, making sure I didn't leave out any key details, and I told her everything. About how I flipped the coin to find our date location, about how we ate at the lake, about the moment the shooter came...

She nodded, taking in the story. Officer James listened too.

"So... the coin flipping game... how did that work?", she asked.

"Well, you flip the coin, and depending on what side it landed on, we turned left or right in the car until we ended up at a destination that we couldn't turn at anymore, and we had our date there", I said, "We ended up at the lake"

"Interesting", The detective mumbled, "do you remember anything about the shooter?

"Ummm.... he wore a mask... a black ski mask... or maybe just holes cut out of a beanie"