10: Mates are overrated

The eerie feeling that you get when you just know that you are not alone in a very dark room that you accidently stumbled upon in all of your adventurous glory slowly starts to creep into my bones. Chills tickle my naked back as I try to reach for my bearings in a weak attempt to make sense of the obvious elephant in the room.

Why is Noah's scent so potent?

When I reached for the wall and fell right through, Noah's scent engulfed me like a warm, woodsy scented blanket with a hint of sandalwood. Don't get me wrong, I mean, it's a very pleasant smell and I am not complaining, but I can't shake the feeling of not liking where this is heading. From what I gathered from my little spontaneous adventure so far is that there is a random secret staircase in my closet that goes up, which could only mean that I was moving towards either the Beta's or the Alpha's floor and judging by this mouth-watering scent that belongs to my injured mate, I know exactly which floor it is. It only piqued my interest more, a suspicion nesting it's self in my mind as all of the arrows point into the obvious direction, which is that this could be none other than Noah's bedroom or something along those lines, because it's where he spends most of his time alone whenever he isn't in his office downstairs. His scent is way too potent for it to be anywhere else.

Rachel purrs in delight, revelling in iur mate's scent, yipping excitedly. I run my hand alongside the wall, trying to find the light switch. I grunt in discomfort at the sudden brightness, but the only problem would be the fact that I haven't found the light switch yet. After I blink the dancing galaxy of shapes obscuring my vision away, my eyes adjust and I gasp in realization, inspecting the smaller room.

I am in Noah's closet.

There is a secret passage connecting Noah's closet to mine. I look behind me and my suspicion is confirmed when I am met with the sight of a descending staircase ending right in front of a sheer curtain that I have not noticed on the opposite wall of my closet before. It must have been hidden behind clothes or I was just really oblivious. To be fair, I wasn't the one who put all of my clothes away after the 'bonding-day' with Aiden, Annalise and Juliet. Anna insisted that she would do it after the whole fiasco with Alice and Aiden.

The sound of a door clicking open startles me and I turn around abruptly. I knew I wasn't alone up here. I could sense it; my Spidey-senses were tingling. Creating a fun little mission for myself, I duck and hide in Noah's clothes after seeing a figure walking up to where I am hiding.

"Blaze, is that you?" I hear the familiar voice that belongs to my beloved Aaron. I charge out of my hiding spot like a bull with a vicious battle cry, tackling Aaron to the floor in the process.
"What are you doing?" He asks in confusion, shifting his gaze to look over my shoulder. His eyes widen considerably and he lowers his gaze to the ground.

"I found this stairway after falling into my closet. Did... Did you know about this being here?" I question with slight hesitation and he looks up slowly, his molten gold irises identical to my best friends'.

"That's something you should discuss with Noah when he wakes up." He mutters guiltily, avoiding any eye contact with me. I get off of him and he scrambles away faster than Usain Bolt. I don't know why his betrayal hurts so much since it isn't nearly as bad as Noah's. I guess it's because I thought we had one of those types of relationships where you don't bother lying to each other because you know it'll come out at the end of the day anyway; mostly because you don't really mind hurting their feelings as much as you would if it were you best friend. But we were starting to get close and I thought Aaron wouldn't do this. I thought he would be the one to tell me everything straight.

I groan in frustration, rubbing my eyes harshly trying to get rid of the ache that started behind them. I grab a hoodie and some boxers before a searing blush blisters my cheeks as realization slowly seeps into my skin. I was completely nude this entire time. Well then. I know Aaron already saw me naked when he has to carry me back to the dungeons after he knocked me out cold, and he probably also dressed me, but that was different; I didn't pounce on him like a panther then. I put the clothes on and hug my arms around myself trying to squeeze out the embarrassment. I blow out a deep breath, relieved that my blush has subsided. I walk out of Noah's room and quickly make my way to the clinic to go visit Noah.