My Deepest Apologies

Start from the beginning

  "... Y/N. We are here now, Y/N. Wake up." I squint my eyes open with reluctance, giving an irritated groan before peering up at Ash, who's lap I was apparently sleeping on. How do I end up in these positions, honestly? Whatever. I was feeling better than I was at the start of the drive, though my body was still relatively numb. I must've really exerted myself. I'll take care not to let that happen again. This is too much. I sit up and rub my eyes before peering out the window at the Phantomhive Manor. Ash steps out of the coach first and assists me afterwards before guiding me to the entrance and knocking. The doors open to reveal a tiny Tanaka, leading us both to crank our necks down at the old man as he greets us with a signature,

  "Ho. Ho. Ho." I smile at him in return as Ash states he has a task for his master to take care of. We are allowed in and then brought to a room where we would await the young Earl's audience. On our way there, I had stumbled and weakened nearly every other step, leading the butler in white to step in and help stabilize me. I appreciated it, regardless of how on-edge he left me earlier. I was sure to thank him as we were seated down for tea with Tanaka. It was, surprisingly, an enjoyable wait, hardly uncomfortable or awkward at all. Even Ash seems to be enjoying himself, though for all I know, it could be a front.

     "Look Y/N, Tanaka. Three upright tea stalks! I think it promises to be an excellent day!" Ash declares with a lingering laugh from our earlier conversation with the old man, smiling in a rather childlike manner that lead me to smile as well. I have to admit, he does have his moments. Just then, the door opened up, revealing an exasperated Ciel and Sebastian, who stood behind him in the doorway. He was quietly stunned for a few seconds, trying to comprehend the scene before finally coming to his senses, turning towards the butler in white with surprise.

     "Wait, I know you! You're the Queen's butler!"

     "Greetings, Lord Phantomhive." Unfolding his legs, Ash stood up from his chair to seem more professional, holding his cup with two hands to keep it secure as he addressed the boy. "I do apologize for this embarrassing display."

     "Why is the Queen's butler here, sipping tea at my estate?"

     "So sorry. I thought you were aware of his role, Young Master. This entire time, Ash has been her majesty's personal messenger. His job is to deliver the orders her majesty sends out for you, my lord," Sebastian explains.

     "That is not a job for a butler."

     'Neither is throwing butter knives at people.' I was tempted to say it aloud, but instead kept quiet as I sipped on my tea; rather, Ash cuts in for me, acting quite dramatic too, might I add.

     "Forgive me, but I beg to differ. If I couldn't consult the Doomsday Books for those requesting an audience with her majesty and travel here to deliver a simple message, and then stop for an elegant tea break, what kind of a butler would I be?" He retorts, striking a pose as he sipped his tea, causing me to shake my head at him, smiling. It was also a funny jab at Sebastian, considering he used one of his signature catchphrases. I also find myself impressed by how he managed to say all that within a single breath. The true power of an angel, surely.

     "Yes. Well, having a tea break is hardly a duty for a butler," Ciel deadpans, looking just as irritated as he gets whenever his own servant spews nonsense like that.

     "Ho. Ho. Ho," Tanaka contributes elegantly from the sidelines.

     "Well, if I may, to what do we owe the pleasure?"

     "Oh, indeed. Outside of Preston there is a Catholic abbey. It was burned down during the reformation, and is no longer in use. A cult espousing deviant doctrines is gathering there. We have received word that the cult's leader is in possession of the Doomsday Books of all it's many followers."