Accidents Happen

The passage back to earth was almost liked being sucked through a whirlwind cyclone. This spinning tunnel of grey tossed me about like a popping corn kernel then landed me with enough force in some alley in San Francisco, my hometown as well as Aspen's. If I was still human the impact would have definitely crushed my bones. Standing up my feathers were ruffled, and I do mean literally. Giving my wings a good flap to correct them I brushed the crumbled concrete from my clothes. That's right, I landed so hard and considering my strength I cracked the pavement. Taking my first step on earth sense my untimely death I felt forlorn, saddened, depressed even thinking of all I lost. I would have been 28 now but sense angels don't age I'll forever be stuck at 25. As I approached the sidewalks I was a little in awe at how people scurried right pass me not knowing I was there.

Then something even stranger occurred to me, the smell of earth. It wasn't the usual smell of pollution that smogged the skies, or the earthy scent from the ground, tree's, and flowers. I couldn't even smell the delicious aromas that wafted from restaurants. No, what I smelled was odd, unexplainable, a stench so thick it was overwhelming. So many scents mixed into one, sour, sweet, flowery, burnt rubber, onions, honey, just so many. Unfurling my wings I flew high in the sky, above the buildings, into the clouds. Only there could I breathe in fresh, clean air. Pure air, and that's when it hit me, I wasn't smelling garbage, loud perfumes, or smog, I was smelling people's sins. If it was a pleasant smell the person was rather decent, if their smell omitted a foul oder their soul was dark, doomed. Floating back down to earth I focused on getting my senses under control. Closing my eye's I concentrated on one person at a time and within a hour of walking about I had it down.

Me, always having been michevious and up to no good decided it would be fun to exercise my powers. Not just to annoy people but to experiment with my power. Leaning against a building I waited for my first suspect to stroll by. A middle aged lady happened by and I tap her on the shoulder.  She turned in my direction then I tapped her on the other shoulder. She looked so befuddled I snickered to myself and moved along. Next I saw a business man walking briskly along in his expensive tailored suit and stuck my foot out tripping him up. Of course I caught him before he pummeled to the sidewalk and he stood there for a moment trying to figure out what just happened. My best was yet to come, catching sight of a hot chic, one that I would've hit on had I been human, got the shock of her life. As she passed me I smacked her on the ass. Turning abruptly she saw no one. As she resumed walking I smacked her rump again which sent her into a fearful Sprint. Laughing I decided it was time to stop playing and get on task.

Walking along I finally seeked out this tattoo parlor where Aspen worked. Looking through the grimy windows I didn't see anyone but a lady behind a counter sporting a fire engine red mohawk and multiple body piercings. Disappearing through the glass I passed her and noticed she was looking over a biker magazine. Just for sport and because I could, I flipped the magazine shut and grinned at her bewildered expression. Moving on along I crept down a smoky, dimly lit hall that had tiny rooms on each side. Glancing in the first room I saw a man having his nipple pierced, the next was a girl having ink work done and so on. Finally I found what I was looking for at the last door on the left. There she was, Aspen. Bent over the back of some leather wearing older man with a long beard that would make ZZ Top proud, she was working her needle magic.

As I inched closer I saw that ironically she was working on a image of hell across his back. Then that's when it hit me, a scent so powerful yet soothing. Breathing in deeper I could determine it was lavender with a hint of vanilla coming off her. My mind immediately remembered my mission,  I was here to save her soul before it was too late while earning my way in. Focusing back at the task at hand I stood behind her bent over her shoulder watching her work. Suddenly she stopped and gave a small chuckle as she rubbed her neck. "Sorry Chuck, I had a crawling sensation on my neck". She said to her client.

Resuming my post behind her I had to know if she had felt me. Ever so softly I let a slow puff of air float out from between my lips and attack her neck. Chuckling again, she stopped her work to grab her neck. "Hold on a second Chuck. I need to pull my hair back. Seems it keeps tickling my neck".

I had my answer, she could feel me. Satisfied, I backed off and let her work. Even though she was a bit odd there was a certain beauty about her, almost a beckoning of some sort which I found strange. Never in my human life would I have took notice to someone like her. As I was off in la la land Aspen pulled away from the man to retrieve more ink. As she turned she hesitated right in front of me and tilted her head up and stared directly into my eye's, or where my eye's would have been if she could see me. It seemed like she could see me or maybe sense me, I don't know. Aspen remained there for a moment staring at me before shrugging her shoulders and continuing her work. After that I just relaxed against the wall until she was finished.

Trailing in behind her I followed Aspen to a suspicious looking bar and that's where I saw the real Aspen, the careless girl I was suppose to save. Irresponsible, I don't give a fuck attitude sat on her shoulders like a trophy she was proud of. It was clearly obvious all this was a act, trying to chase her demons away through self abuse. As she led a stranger into the restroom I waited in the hall not wanting to invade on this private moment, or what should have been a private moment. Obviously Aspen didn't care who waltzed into the bathroom to witness her sexual escapade. This girl is living a dangerous life and if it takes all I have I will set her on the right path. Aspen will not be the reason I'm denied entrance.

Afterwards I assumed she was headed home so naturally I'm by her side because I am her guardian angel After all. Of all the billions of humans luck would have it that I got stuck with a delinquent. As I floated along beside her I sensed trouble ahead. Trying to sway her into changing her route was freverless. Up ahead two dead beat, good for nothing men stepped into our pathway. The stench that rolled from their oily bodies was foul. Rotting food mixed with the worse case of morning breath ever assaulted my nostrils. Pushing the smell aside I focused on my main priority... Aspen.

It was clear what their intentions was and Aspen was so drunk and strung out she didn't have the mental capability to fight back. Within a flash I lifted the man that had crawled atop her off. His weight was that of a feather compared to my supernatural strength. Slinging him up in the air I effortlessly tossed him into the dumpster rendering him unconscious. The other guy tried to run fearlessly but was no match for my speed. I was on him before he could get two steps in. During this chaos I hadn't realized that I'd became visible until the guy uttered up at me in complete shock. "I I, I. Your not real, y-your not real".

Letting my black wing's spread I released a low growl and the man ran off. I decided he wasn't worth the chase and turned my attention back to Aspen. She was setting up with a goofy smile on her face, I'm assuming trying to make sense of what she was seeing through her drunken haze. Walking toward her slowly I bent down to her level. Aspen's smile widened and she cupped my jaw with her tiny hand. "Your so beautiful" she muttered before passing out. Wrapping my arms around her I slowly lifted her up above the buildings and flew us to her apartment. Tucking her into bed I kept watch over her.

My mind was worried what tomorrows outcome would be. Would she remember me or think I was a drunken vision? If she did recall what she saw how was I to handle it? The most important thing was to learn to control my emotions and senses better to avoid such mishaps. During my rage I lost control and therefore my identity was revealed.