Chapter Eighteen: Porcelain

Start from the beginning

Curious, James perked up in his seat. From here, they could see the whole town. He saw the town center, the park and James could even spot the little dots of flowers and the fountain. Around it was endless shops, restaurants, and the small apartment complexes. It was a perfect little community, all within walking distance. He spotted Eric's high school and the football stadium behind it. From memory, James could map out the path to Eric's house.

The true gem of Carnation were the trails, the campsites and its lakes and rivers.

James never noticed it before, but Carnation was basically in the center of mountains as if it existed in its own crater of the world.

"When I was a kid," Eric started to explain when he paused and rubbed his neck. He picked at his words like lint off of sweaters. He grunted, "Well, when I was a teenager too, I was kind of a hot head."

James bit his lips before he said, add being an adult to that list.

Eric went on, looking off into the exploding horizon. "If I was fighting with my parents or the world, I needed a place to cool my head. This is where I'd run. This place..." he smiled. "It makes me feel at peace."

"It's beautiful," James whispered just as Eric was getting out of the car. James perked up and hopped out too, yelling at Eric from across the car roof. "Hey! What are we doing out here?"

"I wanted to try again," Eric stated and opened the back door. He started slipping off his jacket, which just made James feel colder. Winter was quickly approaching, and the air had a certain bite to it. Eric rolled up his sleeves, over his muscular arms. "I want to show you my wolf again, but this time, it'll be me and I'll be clear as day-"

"Eric," James sighed. "That night was an accident."

"But that's the only reference you have to me as a wolf."

He had a point, but James wasn't going to admit that. James walked around the car to Eric's side. He leaned against the cool metal. His eyes drifted, but all he found was empty space. James had to wonder if this was a safe place to shift.

When he looked back, he was met with Eric's lusty stare. Eric loomed closer, tilting his head. He had that smirk on his lips that oozed smugness. Eric's spoke and his voice had never been deeper. It littered James' skin with goosebumps. "And now that I can smell you all the time, there's no chance of me freaking out..." Eric's big hands rubbed James shoulders and James wanted to wrap Eric around him like a blanket. He was so deliciously warm. Eric leaned down, whispering against James' neck.

James shuddered.

"God," Eric said as if in prayer to James. He pecked James' neck, sending a sweet sensation straight to James' crotch. "I love being able to smell you."

Breathlessly, James tapped Eric's chest and insisted, "Focus. Focus."

Still, Eric got one kiss in before backing up into the center of the empty lot. It wasn't paved at all, just a lot of dirt and gravel. The lamp lights flickered to life around them as the sun slipped past the edge of the trees. In the center of it all, Eric rolled his shoulders back and flexed his fingers. A small light started inside his chest, but James was quickly blinded by its growing brilliance. The light flashed like a camera and the wind pressed James against the car.

James peeled his eyes open with a smile. Standing on all fours, Eric's wolf stood tall and proud. Again, Eric was oddly large for a wolf. It was a good thing the lights came on because Eric, as a wolf, would disappear in the night. Under the light, his black fur shined. Eric took a careful step forward, staring holes into James' head with his shining gold eyes. It was like he was waiting for James to run.