Fight Fire with Fire

With a thud Jay landed onto her shell. She struggled to breath as she slowly sat up, winded from the rough landing. She shakily took out the walkie talkie.

"Hello? Angelica?"

"Yeah I'm here Jay. Where's Kelsi?"

"Cole, Ian and Kasai won't be able to swim up stream. They aren't in good enough shape."

"I know. I was hoping you guys had some rope or something? Even with both of us Lucas and I can't carry three people, let alone swim too."

"Rope, yeah. Yeah I can find some."

"Jay where is Kelsi, Deryn, Penny and James? Are they with you?"

"N-No, they should catch up soon, I hope."

"You hope? What is happening up- You know what? Just get to the spring."

"On it."

Jay tucked the walkie talkie pack into her pocket and pulled out her phone.

Hey Kelsi, meet me at the spring. Bring rope.

After she hit send she instantly began dashing over to the spring, as fast as her body would let her. She's been to the spring a few times, honestly everyone in the neighbourhood has. It's just directly into the forest behind the school. Even though she knew the way, she couldn't get her mind off the fact she would get lost.

Suddenly she felt a gust of wind rush over her. She looked up, a giant white bird was above her, about the land.

"Need a lift short stuff?" Deryn teased.

"Oh thank god you found her." Angelica said with relif as she saw Lucas meet up with her at the mouth of the middle tunnel.

"Ian! You alright mate?" Lucas asked.

"Great question Lucas. Let me think, mmmm," He looked up and stroked his chin. "No."

Lucas laughed, "Nice to see you. Cole what about you?"

"He's... unresponsive." Angelica muttered. "What about Kasai."

"I think the fact I have to carry her says enough." Lucas sighed.

"We can all have a rest while we wait for the guys topside to get some rope. Otherwise we won't be able to get these guys out too."

"Alright." He puffed, carefully putting Kasai down on the floor, sitting down next to her.

Ian and Angelica helped Cole onto the floor before sitting down themselves too. Kasai snuggled up to Lucas, half asleep. He smiled to him and put a arm around, trying to keep her warm.

A muffled voice came from Angelica's walke talkie. She took it out to hear the sound of Kelsi's voice drowned out by wind.

"Kelsi? Where are you?"

"In the sky. Hold on we're about to land."

The sound of crashing winds at the shaking of leaves screamed through the walkie talkie. Angelica put her hand over to speak to soften the sound. When she heard voices again she moved her hand away.

"You there still?"

"Yeah what is it?"

"We're at the spring. James had some sort of plan to get you out. He says he has 'special abilities'."

"Well can you hurry, we're freezing down here."

"There's more. I finished reading that article about the living snow or whatever it is. Apparently it's a shape shifter. It beats up its prey so it's weak enough to die from frostbite. Then it turns them into snow. Our lives are in danger by snow!"

"Can you stop it?"

"There's only one way to stop it, you have to destroy it all at once or it can regenerate. The problem is. It involves fire."

Angelica glanced over to Lucas and Kasai. Lucas had been listening in on the conversation, he was thinking the same thing. He nodded at her.

"We'll see what we can do."

She put the walkie talkie down. She looked back over to Lucas and Kasai. Lucas was slowly trying to wake her up.

"Mmm, Lucas...?" She said sleepily.

"Hey beautiful." He whispered, smiling down to her.

She faintly smiled back at him. Her smile was enough to warm him from the freezing air around them.

"Can you do something for me?"

"What is it?" She yawned, snuggling into him more.

"I need you to get up first."

She groaned. She slowly sat up, clutching his jacket around her.

"You know the snow that took you, Ian and Cole away? We can get rid of it, but we need your help ok?"

"Can I wake up first?" She smiled, stretching her arms out.

"Alright." He looked back over at Angelica.

He could see she was mad at them, luckily she needed him to help get everyone out or she would just leave him here.

"Alright I'm awake." Kasai said looking back at Lucas. Her face turned to shook as she looked over his shoulder.

"Angelica! Ian! Cole!" She ran over to them giving them each a big hug, even Cole despite his lack of response.

"Nice to see you awake Minty." Ian smirked.

"Oh shush you." She grinned. She felt a hand on her shoulder and looked back up to see Lucas. She stood up to meet him.

"Alright what do you need me to do?"

"You won't like it but I need you to understand if you don't do it, this-" He motioned to the whole cave. "-Will happen again."

"What is it?" Kasai raised an eyebrow.

"We need you to use your powers to melt all the snow, at once."

Kasai's face turned from bubbly to petrified in a seconds notice.

"I-I can't do it."