"You're a little girl," he said, leaning against the side of the car. "Only little girls would find that creepy—"

"Your ignorant assumptions of my character are completely wrong," I said, rambling. "Any woman would find that creepy."

He stared at me for a moment then dropped his gaze to my shoes, travelling up my dress, leading to my neck, and then stopping, for a second, on my mouth. That familiar hot chill slithered through my spine, but I suppressed the shiver- glaring at him.

"You're doing it again," I snapped. "That creepy staring thing—"

He sighed, tilting his head to the side.

"Must you use that word, Dorothy?" he asked. "You know what? I'm sorry. No, I really am. I apologize."

I smiled. "Thank you."

He chuckled lightly in response, walking around till he reached the driver's side of the car. There was a smirk to his face that told me that whatever I had thanked him for, was a dumb move on my part. As I entered his car, I chewed on my lower lip, hearing the engine rumble. The window was down- the gust blowing my strands to my mouth, as I tucked the hair behind my ears.

"Wait," I said slowly. "What are you sorry...for?"

James's hand rested over the steering wheel, his head turning towards me. His face glowed in amusement, as though inwardly laughing at a secret joke.

"I'm sorry," he repeated. "That you're a little girl."

I stared at him, my mind repeating his words, as my mouth opened, then closed. I licked my bottom lip, swallowing a breath- my throat suddenly feeling dry.

"I'm not a little girl," I said, keeping my voice steady. "I'm anything but—"

"You're not?" he challenged. "Then prove it."

I frowned. "I don't have to prove anything to you—"

"So that means you are a little girl—"

"Quit calling me that!"

He smiled. "A bratty little girl as well—"

"I told you I'm not!"

"Then prove it," he pestered. "Prove that you're not."

My hands clenched on the fabric of my lap, as he gave me an expectant stare. The wind howled through the open window, as I watched pedestrians cross the street ahead, enjoying the warm night breeze.

"How do I prove that?" I asked.

He stared at me for a moment, and then laughed, reaching over to the top of my head- ruffling my hair.

"You're too innocent," he said, smiling widely. "Honestly...It's kind of refreshing."

I frowned, feeling a bit disheartened for some reason. The ride home passed with him laughing at my question, as random songs from the radio drowned out his voice. I closed my eyes for the rest of the ride, my lips pursed, and my heart- burning.

When we got out the car, I went to open the door to the back seat, searching for the food we'd bought. It was probably cold by now, and though we didn't yet have a microwave yet, it should be eatable.

"What are you looking for?" James asked, as I opened the door.

"For our food," I replied. "Did you leave it in the trunk or something?"

He walked towards me, circling an arm around my waist- pulling me back. I gasped, as he closed the door, beeping a button on his key, locking it. My waist scorched where he touched it, as I pushed back, standing a foot apart from him.