Echo

Echo

How did this happen?

I woke up this morning with a raging headache, who knows what from. So I just layed there for about 10 minutes staring at the ceiling of the cave. Jake and Julian slept soundlessly beside me.

After my headache simmered down a bit, I started exploring. I didn't know where the girls slept, but I was curious, so I wandered around in till I found it. I was very surprised at what I saw.

Senara and Tiffany were laid on the rug as normal, each taking slow breaths in a steady pace. Kendall was nowhere to be found in the room, but I just assumed she was up already and outside cooking breakfast, like yesterday morning. That moment felt like years ago. Sara was laying at the heads of Senara and Tiffany on the stone floor of the cave. She laid with her hand over her head, as if she was trying to grasp something that wasn't there.

But I noticed something else too, something Sara had pointed out about me less than 12 hours ago, in secret before we went to sleep. At the back of her head, was a streak of gray hair that fell in long strands like the rest of her hair.

I immediately knew something was wrong, but I didn't know what. Maybe I would go outside and check some stuff out, see what in the world was going on.

Out the entrance of the cave, I didn't see Kendall, and I admit I kind of panicked, ok, really panicked. My heart pounded like crazy even though I knew she was probably fine. I sprinted back in the cave and ran in the boy's room.

I shook Jake's shoulders rapidly in till he was awake. He must have seen the utter panicked in my eyes because as soon as he saw my face, there was panicked in his eyes as well.

"What?" he said in a loud whisper. "What's wrong?"

"Kendall's missing!" I practically screamed. In a millisecond he had picked up Goldilocks, which I had long forgotten about, and sprinted out of the room.

A second later Tiffany and Senara ran in the entrance to the room looking tired, but alert at the same time.

"I heard someone yelling! What's wrong?" asked Tiffany.

"Do you guys know where Kendall is?" I said urgently.

"No. Sorry, Echo." I pursed my lips.

"Well let's start looking."

We had searched everywhere in the forest, yelling Kendall's name over and over again and again. Then I got an idea, a crazy idea, but I knew it might work.

I jogged back to the cave and back to the room I slept in. Sweat was dripping down my nose and checks, but I moved as fast as I could. I shook Julian awake, I had forgotten about him, and the fact that he could be a big help, in the chaos of finding Kendall.

Julian opened his eyes drowsily but they were soon wide in shock as he saw my sweat-drenched, terrified face; he rarely sees me panicked. I told him that Kendall was missing and nobody could find her.

"How can I help you, Mr. Anderson?" he said with an exaggerated bow.

"I have a plan. It's crazy, but it might work. I'm wondering about your power. I think it can help. It might be possible, and I am only saying might, that you can have the thought in your head to transport us to where Kendall is!" I shouted in excitement.

"Huh?" Julian shook his head in confusion.

"Well, I think you transport things by thinking of where you want to go and just, go there! But what if you didn't have a certain place you wanted to go to, but a certain person you wanted to go to."

Julian's ears perked up. "I'm listening."

"You usually think in your head: Oh, I want to go to Flemming. And you just appear there! But what if you thought: I want to go to Kendall. I wonder if you would just appear there!"

"I doubt, it but I can try." He turned to his side. "Shoulder." I placed my hand on his shoulder and his eyes closed in concentration.

We started the familiar twirling to wherever Kendall was.

________________

We finally slowed down to the road of sand and dust, far away from the forest.

"Where is she?" I thought out loud. Julian pointed to a spot where two figures were standing away from the bush we had landed behind. We immediately became silent as we listened in on their conversation.

"Did you hear that?" came Kendall's voice.

"Yes! But it is probably nothing!" said an unrecognizable voice. It sounded like a boy a bit older than Julian and I, and he sounded like the kind of person who is always happy.

"Eh. Whatever-" started Kendall, but the boy cut her off.

"Whatever?" he shouted. "Did you just say whatever? Well I say that the trees in this world are ever! The birds, the butterflies are ever! The world is ever! Not whatever little sis, ever!"

"Um...ok, Finn. Whatev- I mean, ever you say. Anyway, let's get back on topic."

"Let's!"

"I'm not sure if I could do it. I just can't."

"I'm sorry Kendall," he actually giggled. "I forgot what we were talking about! Isn't that great!" then he burst out laughing. Kendall sighed.

"We were talking about my task. Mr. Carr wants me to bring these guys back there so he could run tests on them, but I don't think I can. They've already done so much for me, and I don't want to throw it away."