Julian

Julian

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Why couldn't that be me? Standing up there getting a standing ovation? There were only three people in the "audience" but still? Unfair. There is definitely gonna be gossip tomorrow.

And Echo has another person to pick up tomorrow, so I'm gonna be all alone, I doubt Sara will keep her word about letting me in with her clique. Nobody ever does.

When I took the test two months ago, nine years after I arrived here, I filled out my answers hoping for Spall, turned it in, and Shupple got up and said, and I quote: Julian, you are in Transportation.

I didn't even get my last name, though I can't really blame them for that, considering I don't have a last name. Don't ask, it's a very long story. Besides, you'll fall asleep before I finish, I have that kind of effect on people.

Yet despite hoe bitter I felt, I jumped and hooted and cheered them on.

"You two will sit at the table closest to the door you come into for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. You two will sleep and do whatever other shananigans in the Spall room. You two will be in all the same classes with the Spall teachers, this will be their first class in 3000 years. You two will do everything together, wait, that sounds wrong, whatever." I never heard him say whatever before, he must be happy.

Then Echo and I walked slowly back to Transportation room in silence, but Echo broke the silence around halfway.

"Do you think we should wake somebody up to tell them?" he asked, scratching his non-existant beard like he always did.

"Nah. They'll find out in the morning, I bet at least five people will yell at them for sitting at the wrong table." I said without a smile. Sara brought back a smile I haven't used in 8 years.

"I say ten." he said. Then Echo pretended to count money by making noises and shuffling his fingers.

"You are probably right. At least these guys will have about ten times the attention on them in class by the teacher."

"What makes you say that?"

"Class of two, I'm gonna guess the teachers attention will be on them."

"Ah," said Echo, perfectly impersonating Shupple. "And I'm gonna guess that these guys are gonna steal our places as the most popular kids in school."

"If by popular, you mean completely invisible in everybody else's minds, then yes, they will steal our places." I said, making Echo laugh his crazy, maniac laugh.

"That's the spirit!" he said, then he lowered his voice. "Don't let Susan hear you say that, she'll go insane." Susan's power was to turn invisible, so was Chris' and Samantha's and Joe's, and about 20 more people, but Susan was most sensitive about it.

We had finally gotten in the Transportation room. This one "room" had about 15 more rooms attached to fit everybody in. We got to our room and I closed the door as softly as I could, but my roommate Eli heard it and grogily sat up.

"Who'd ya find?" he asked.

"Two very special people."