Sara

Sara

I was proud to say that I was completely different from anybody else. But no one else knew my secret, not even my family.

I could use my senses to do anything, for you see, when I was born, I had quadruple the perfect eyesight; I was able to see through solids and liquids as if they weren't there at all. I had triple the hearing of a dog; I could hear not only the tiniest of sounds miles away, but, this may sound creepy, I could hear your thoughts. I had five times the smell of a wolf, I was able to smell when something was poison or out of place. I can taste all tiny and main ingredients of anything. I could feel exactly what you are feeling, whether it was physical or emotional, and when I would touch something, anything, I could tell everything about its history.

Though that may have sounded a little creepy - okay, very creepy, but it wasn't as if my senses did that all the time. They only were exceptional if I wanted them to be, or if there was something wrong - though that lately seemed to be happening more and more often. The freakiest part about my powers though, was that I was able to persuade a person's thoughts to do something, and most of the time, they would do it.

Anyway, the next day was my birthday, I would be turning 13, and me and five other friends would be traveling about 20 minutes away to an amusement park to go on some rides and stay in one of the hotels there after school. Florida is awesome, and when you are in the upper class like my family and living in Florida, everything turns twice as enjoyable. It was 11:56 and I still couldn't fall asleep due to excitement. Besides, something didn't feel right, so I decided to go take a look.

I hopped out of bed and started roaming around the mansion I lived in. I traveled down the four flights of stairs before I got to the first floor. My uneasy feeling got stronger when I went near the front door, and I knew there was trouble. I placed my hand on the door handle, which was shining bright in the light of the moon in the nearest window. It turned, but it was not I who turned it.

I switched my eyes to x-ray mode as I held the door shut. What I saw surprised me. I saw a boy, no older than I was trying to push open the door silently, not working for him, the weakling. Then he gave up and just stood there, closing his dark brown eyes, and I wondered what he was doing. Then I blinked, and when I opened my eyes, he disappeared. I shrugged and turned around, then I gasped.

The boy was standing right there, with a huge smile, staring at me like he has won a prize.

"Two more Overachievers in one night, two! We hit the jackpot." then he looked at me and my confused look. "Sorry to jumble you, Sara. I'm Julian. Nice to meet you in person, I've heard a lot about you, missie."

"How...how did you...did you-" I pointed back and forth between the door and where he was standing, following my finger with my eyes as well.

"Couldn't get in, I'm assuming because somebody was holding it. I'm no superstrength, Sara." He raised his eyebrows and gave me such a look, that I blushed.

"What do you mean superstrength?" I asked. The boy called Julian  looked up at the full, silver moon sadly, as if I had hurt him by asking that. I am ashamed to say that he looked rather cute in the moonlight, the glowing light reflecting off his long, shaggy brown hair.

"Superstrength is my dream power. That's what most of them have, and they formed a small clique and throw things, heavy things I might add, at anybody that came within five feet of them. I want to be able to do that."

I remembered something he said when he came in. "What's an Overachiever and what do they do?"

He smiled and explained everything, it sounded wonderful except for one thing...

"What do you mean my friends and family won't remember me? Mom? Dad? Little baby Andrew? They will never know I existed? Molly? Jessica? They won't remember we were ever friends?"

"No, none of the Overachievers have their family and most of them never made friends."

"I-I can't leave anybody. No. No." I started backing away from him.

"It's too late, nobody here remembers you." said Julian, with a smile that looked almost wistful.

I dug my way into his mind, but I won't say what I saw. I found the right thought of his, taking me away to Flemming, which I assume is the school for us. Then I spoke in his mind in the most soothing voice I could muster. Let Sara's family remember her, always. Can't you do that for her?

"I know what you are trying to do, Sara. You can't change my thoughts though. We were trained to resist this kind of thing from happening." said Julian out loud, and his words shook me from his brain. "We can't expose Flemming, I'm sorry."

I looked up at Mom and Dad's room. I concentrated with all my might as I dug into their brain and whispered goodbye. I looked back at Julian with hateful eyes.

"This better be good." I finally said. "How are we getting there?"

"Well, we both have unique powers that haven't come in centuries, you have super senses, and I'm a teleporter. I'm gonna transport us there. Put your hand on my shoulder." he explained.

"One more thing," I said. Julian looked at me. "You don't have to have superstrength to be in a cool clique, when we get there, you could be in mine, assuming I make one, which I am usually pretty good at." We smiled at each other and I put my hand on his shoulder.

Next thing I knew, we had vanished, twirling into the darkness.