Chapter 1:

He remembered what it was like to wake up early to go to school, and walk to the bus stop, and to go to class, and to go home and study for a test the next day.  Everyone remembered these things, but none of us would go back; we'd seen too much death and destruction, that we probably would've had PTSD if we ever went to see a movie in theaters.  His "friend" Becca was lifting up metal shelves and checking behind the counter of the CVS on the corner of Edisons Road, "I didn't even know these shelves could fall.  Thought they were nailed down." he said, jokingly. " I don't know, all I know is that I would've done anything I could to grab anything on the shelves, not worry about pushing one over" he couldn't tell if this was just what she thought, or if she was trying to tell him to shut up and look for medicine.  Either way he rolled his eyes and picked up empty bottles as the back storage room door shook and groaned as it was getting slapped and banged on by whatever was on the other side.  "We should probably get that" Becca said, "I really don't want to..." he said, already regretting it.  Becca rolled her eyes and pulled out a machete from her back pack.  "I was just kidding.  A little." He took out a sharp kitchen knife, and a rather small black pistol, he put the safety off, bent his elbows, and slowly walked beside Becca to the storage door.  Blood covered the little glass window on the door, and a hand would frequently appear on it, and then bang on it.  "Look, there is a keypad on the knob, just like the one at Walgreens" he looked at the knob and she was right, he never payed attention to details.  "So, what do we do, leave it?" She paused for a little bit, then looked at the ceiling of the building, " we follow protocol, this place is a dead end" he nodded and put his gun away in his bag, but kept the knife in his hand.  Becca pulled a large red gas can out of her black back pack and started pouring gas on every shelf and counter and even the door with It inside.  Nothing came out of the can anymore, so she tossed it on  the ground.  "Alright, let's head out" Becca and the boy ran to the exit in the back, where the garbage for every store in this outlet was, and he lit a match and threw it inside.  The place roared on fire and smoke billowed from the shattered windows.  They climbed over the small wall, and sprinted across the steep hill that would level out and lead them to the road.  "That is one steep climb" he said, short of breath.  "Your just excited that you got to burn the place down." She said in heavy pants of breath, this was the first time Becca said something even remotely funny.  They walked on the side of the road, hiding themselves purposely behind cars so anyone or thing on the highway couldn't see them.  They walked in silence for a while until the road got smaller, and where they walked was now on the edge of the woods.  "Watch out, those woods are pretty thick, and those things are pretty quiet until they get you." He nodded and gripped his knife harder.  Later on, a community entrance opened up and they hurried inside.  Only about 7 houses were fully constructed and painted, there were 4 skeletons of a house, and 3 more who were just plies of wood sticking up from the ground.  Twin Waters, was the name of the community primarily because there were water fountains everywhere, and one giant one in the middle.  The duo walked to one of the skeleton homes, where a few tents and plastic tables were.  A grown man with an orange beard was circling something on a map, while punching numbers into a calculator.  "Hey" the boy said when they walked in, and the bare wooden floors groaned.  "Thank God you two made it back safe, I always question myself when I send you two to scavenge" the two smiled and sat down in front of his long table on plastic fold out chairs.  "There was really nothing out there" "but the Walgreens code you gave us didn't work, so we went to the CVS across the street." The two kids eyed each other, but neither of them knew why.  "Good thing those two stores are always across from each other." "Yeah.  Eddie, has Angelo or Sammy gotten back yet?"  Eddie shook his head, "sorry Rebecca, but you know they are going on a long run, all the way in Lonsdale, more than an hour away from us.  They probably got sidetracked and they'll be here around tomorrow afternoon.  But I promise if they aren't here by tomorrow night, I'll send some scouts."  Becca nodded, but her eyes were red. "Oh, and Dillan is throwing a little turkey diner in his house for everyone.  Storing up food for thanksgiving really worked.  It's too bad we didn't get any medicine though, his wife needed it." They nodded and got up and left the ghost house and walked to the central fountain in the neighborhood.  Water filled the middle of the fountain, but no water shot off the top of the fountain like it was supposed to.  He took a plastic water bottle that was on the rim of the fountain, and filled it up almost all of the way.  "You shouldn't take that much water"  "There is enough for everyone."  "Well everyone isn't here.  My sister and Angelo are still out there and so are Martha and Nacho."  His face turned red, and he let the water fall back into The fountain.  Becca rolled her eyes and walked away, but yelled out, "and next time, don't be such a little bi---" a piercing scream echoed off of each house and into their ears.