Chapter Thirty-Six: Forgiveness

Magsimula sa umpisa

It took someone's hand shaking me by my shoulder to pull me back into the real world. "Scarlett," Aurora's musical voice called over the cheering of the rest of our team. "Get up there! You won!"

I blinked a couple of times, reality finally setting in enough for me to get to my feet. I hurried across the stage as gracefully as I could manage, until I was stood beside the announcer man in his white suit.

"Congratulations, Miss. Grey," he smiled. "You did a wonderful job."

When he pressed the small trophy into my hands. The sparkling golden metal was cool against my dampened palms, as I took it, my grip tightening around the silhouette of a dancer leaping through a star. I quickly read the inscription on the base.

First Place Solo - Fairfield County, Connecticut Qualifiers.

That was when I finally smiled. I'd actually done it. I'd danced my heart and soul out on that stage, bearing every emotion I'd ever beaten down and kept hidden. Not only did my heart feel lighter, I had something to show for it. Something to always remind me of what I'd overcome.

The applause and cheering continued as I joined the other two where they stood, and we all took a collective bow.

I couldn't see any of the faces in the crowd before us, but I could only hope my Mum and Dad were smiling.

After another moment basking in the congratulations, we each headed back to our teams. I was barely able to sit down before arms were wrapped around me in a tight hug.

"Ohmigod, Scarlett! I'm so sorry I ever doubted you! You were amazing!" Aurora babbled quickly, her words mushing together.

"It's okay, Aura," I choke out, my hands subtly trying to pry her arms away from my neck. "But, I kind of can't breathe so— "

"Sorry! Sorry!" She cries, her arms dropping from around me. "You honestly did fantastic. We're all so proud of you," she grins, just as the crowd hushes and we turn our attention back to the announcer.

Now, if anyone had bother to keep score as he read the points, we'd already be able to tell exactly had was first overall. But we were all to caught up in the excitement and anxiety to bother. But I think it was safe to say it was between our team, and Ariat Prep.

"Now, it is my honor to announce the top three teams heading to regionals next month. In third place, with an overall score of four hundred and twenty points, the Norwalk School Dance Team!"

Behind us, a group of dances in green jackets cheered and clapped, hugging each other as we all clapped politely for their third place win.

"And in second place..."

The announcer paused for a moment, and our hands clasped together tightly as we eagerly awaited him to announce the second place team. We knew it had to be a close call between our team and Ariat. We each had our share of high scores today. But the question was, who had more?

"With an overall score of four hundred and sixty-seven points, the Ariat Preparatory Elites!"

While the audience erupted in loud cheers and applause for the second place team, I watched as the Ariat team clapped a few times politely, with the exception of their captain, who glared in our direction.