Chapter Thirteen: Twisted

THINGS CALMED DOWN over the next month

THINGS CALMED DOWN over the next month. School became a familiar routine, my friends and I grew closer, and the Addams twins and their pet dog steered clear of me. I was finally starting to fade into the background.

I actually felt normal.

I pulled up in front of Aimee and Meghan's house and honked the horn quickly, signalling for them to hurry up.

After getting out of the hospital, Dad had surprised me by taking me to get my driver's license. While I shouldn't have technically been able to get my official license for another three months, Dad had pulled some strings with a friend at the DMV and I had taken more than the mandatory thirty hours of driver's education in order to prove myself worthy to the state of Connecticut.

Which was why I was sat out front of my best friends' house in my new Mercedes, while they were apparently repaying me for all the times I had run been running behind when they had driven me.

I was about to honk the horn again when the front door of the white mansion flew open and Aimee and Meghan came walking out, mockingly slowly. In return, I shifted into drive and slowly started diving away from them. That got their attention and they hurried over.

"You're a bitch," Aimee huffed as she climbed into the back seat, glaring at her sister who had beat her to shotgun.

"And you're late," I shot back, turning out of their circular driveway and heading for Marcelle's.

"How was practice last night?" Meghan asked, shooting me a big smile.

"Hellish. I was stuck at school until seven-thirty. This week, we're conditioning. Apparently, with our first competition coming up and our abysmal performance at last week's game, Aurora thinks she needs to whip us into shape. I almost bashed her head in with a barbell when she made us stay an extra hour running suicides because Kamilah was being a mouthy bitch," I ranted on.

"I still can't believe her and Vi let that bag of crazy on the team," Aimee piped up, leaning her head between the front seats.

Meghan shrugged, remaining the perfect little pessimist she is. "She's got like a decade of professional dance training. It would be stupid not to let her on the team."