Chapter Nine: Routine

BLOOD COVERED MY hands and salty tears stained my face

"I'm so sorry," I whimpered.

He roared wordlessly.

I looked down at my hands, wiping the blood off of my knuckles. I could feel the bruises forming, and my wrist screamed in pain.

I looked back up at him to see that he was clutching his nose, blood flowing like water from a faucet.

Like a viper, he struck, wrapping one large hand around my throat and hauling me off of my bed and slamming me up against the wall.

I saw stars as my head cracked against the cement wall. I squeezed my eyes shut.

"Look at me, you little bitch!" he yelled, his sour breath assaulting my face. "Look what you fucking did to me!"

I obeyed, prying my eyes open. His face was a mask of fury, his nose bent at an unnatural angle.

I regretted the small giggle that escaped my lips when I saw him draw back his arm.

All I could do was scream. I thrashed out, making contact with flesh.

I heard someone calling my name, followed by a string of unladylike curses, and my eyes flew open.

Hovering above me, clutching her arm, was a much shaken looking Aimee. My eyes widened and I jolted upright.

"Oh my god Aimee, I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry-"

She cut me off. "Don't apologize, just tell me what the hell had you screaming in your sleep, Scarlett," she demanded, concern clouding her hazel eyes.

I exhaled and looked down. My small fists were clenching the tangled sheets and I was soaked in sweat.

There's no blood. It was just a nightmare.

A memory.

I composed myself before looking back up at Aimee. "Don't worry about it. It was just a nightmare, I should've warned you. I didn't mean to scare you," I said, offering her a small smile.