Chapter Thirty-Eight: Recompense

BREAKFAST AT MARCELLE'S the next morning was quiet

After Aurora and I had dried our eyes, we had headed back out to the rest of the group. We were met by a crowd of worried gazes. Apparently, Rachel's room wasn't exactly soundproof. Everyone had heard yelling, but they hadn't heard what had been said.

So, Aurora told them everything. It put a dampener on the rest of the night, sure, but it felt good to have all of the lies out of the way.

An awkward silence carried through to the next morning as Aimee, Aurora, Meghan and I piled into my car, and Violet, Sienna and Rachel piled into her Lexus for the quick drive to our favorite café. It lightened though, once we were all seated around a few collective tables with caffeine in hand.

"Hey, Red? Did I not see you meet the illusive Madison Van Allen yesterday?" Aimee asked, stabbing at a piece of crepe with her fork.

My eyes rolled as I picked at the blueberry muffin in front of me. "I would be content to never meet her again."

Rachel snorted from the other end of the table. "She hit on Kennedy, didn't she?"

"If you consider shamelessly throwing herself at her and completely ignoring my existence to be hitting on him, then absolutely."

"Typical. She always had a weird thing going for him and Dec. Like, gag me," she said around a mouthful of food.

"Well, she tried to psych me out backstage before my solo. If it weren't for our wonderful captain here, she probably would've succeeded," I announced, fixing Aurora with a smile. "Thanks for that."

Aurora looked up from where she was stirring her latte thoughtfully. It took a moment for her lips to curve into their usual smile. "You don't have to thank me. I'd been dying to call her on her shit all competition. But, you're welcome anyways."

Our conversation drifted back to small talk after that, none of us too talkative. Once we were all finished our breakfasts, a few of us grabbed some coffees to-go, and headed back out to our cars.

We were halfway to school when Aurora leaned forward from her spot in the passenger seat and turned down whatever music Meghan had playing on my stereo.