Part 12

The next morning, after breakfast, Noah invited me to join him and his uncle for an archery session.  I couldn't believe how large the gardens were.  Everything was so huge that the castle appeared like a dollhouse from the shooting range.

"A girl who can shoot arrows?"mumbled Noah's uncle at one point.  "Impossible!"  As soon as we arrived at the shooting range, some pages placed the equipment down on the benches and started fixing up the targets.  Once everything was set, the Duke's uncle stepped forward with a large and refined bow with the Riverood coat of arms carefully painted on it.  He picked an arrow from the stand and positioned himself before shooting the arrow. He hit the target but it was no bullseye.

"My turn."Noah stated but before he could pick his own arrow, his uncle interrupted him.

"Why not let your beautiful fiancé take this shot?"he smirked.  Noah handed me his bow and took a step back.  I picked one of the arrows and got into position.  As I was adjusting the arrow, I heard Noah's uncle whisper to him.

"I think we'd better take a few steps back. I do not feel like being stabbed by an arrow anytime soon."he whispered. I clenched my jaw, took aim and shot.  I stepped back and admired Noah's uncle's reaction as my arrow hit the centre of the target. 

"Beginner's luck."complained the old man as he waved his hands in frustration. I glanced at Noah and he smiled at me. With that glimmer in his eye, I knew he planned this activity on purpose, just to make sure someone could put his uncle in place.  I smiled as we moved on to the next target and the ones after that. Each target was different and was placed at a different height or distance. With every new target, the activity got even more comptetitive and afraid that I would end up quarelling with his uncle, Noah insisted we call it a day and return to the castle for lunch.  As we entered into the grand entance, I tripped on an over-turned rug. I almost flew directly onto the floor when Noah caught me firmly and as I looked at him he kissed me passionately. I tried to pull away but he would not let me.  When we finally pulled away to catch our breaths, Noah's uncle stood before us looking slightly disgusted, before he made his way to the dining room and left the two of us alone.

"What were you thinking trying to pull away like that?"Noah asked in frustration.

"You kissed me without warning..."I said to defend myself.

"That is what lovers do." Noah added with a hint of sadness showing on his face.

"You have a point."

"I know I do."he said before walking in the direction of the dining room. However, before he walked in, he turned to face me.  "Am I really that bad to make you want to punch me every time I attempt to kiss you?"

I wanted to say something; to tell him that I did not despise kissing him at all... but my mouth remained shut as he sadly walked into the dining room.

That evening I was in the drawing room alone with a book on my lap.  I hated that all books were written by men. We only got one perspective of society, even if it was written from the point of view of a female protagonist.  For instance, in this book, Briette, the main character talked about how she would never dare stand up to her husband and claims that she willingly accepts any beatings he may give her.  These were things that followed the society's protocol but they certainly weren't fair.  I let out a yawn and looked around me.  A painting caught my eye.  I placed the book on the armchair I had been sitting on and walked towards the painting.  In it was a boy with a girl and they were looking into each other's eyes. Before I could observe it any further, I heard footsteps behind me.  I turned around in haste.

"I apologise about earlier."Noah said as he fiddled with his pocket watch.  "Even though you do work for me, I should not have taken advantage of you that way."

"Who are the people in the portrait?"I asked after some time. Noah looked up and walked closer as if to investigate the picture.

"That is..."he paused as if to contemplate whether to elaborate on the subject or leave it altogether.  "The boy is me."he gulped. "And the girl... is Rosaline." The words seemed to suck the air out of him.

"It is beautiful."I jumped in hoping to avoid the topic of his relationship with this mysterious Rosaline.

"Thank you."he said.  "I meant to tell you that I will be hosting a harvest ball, like the one I host each year to celebrate the people of Carlisle's hard work and sacrifice." My eyes lit up at his final words.

"That is very nice of you to show your appreciation to your people."

"Thank you... but I meant to ask you if you would like to attend. I have a wonderful evening planned if you do come."he smiled sweetly.

"I would love to come."I said. At this, he smiled even brighter.

"Wonderful."he exclaimed.

"When is it?"I asked curiously.

"In two days..."he said.

"Two days?!"I squealed.  "But that's so soon!"

"I have everything planned by the minute!"Noah said in a reassuring tone. "Oh and one more thing..."he said as he took out a small sack from his pocket.  "Here is the money I owe you..."he explained as he placed it in my hand.

"But your uncle is nowhere near convinced..."I protested.

"But your mother needs it."he said.  Without saying a single word, I leapt into his arms and hugged him tightly.  I was so thankful for everything at that moment and maybe my heart was slowly opening up slightly to Noah... just maybe.