Part 8

"Are you mad, child?"my aunt squealed.

"You heard me wide and clear... I forfeit my spot."I said with a serious look on my face.

"Don't tell me you will actually give all of this up just for a peasant boy."she scolded.

"If Adrian will soon marry then someone must care for my family... and no-one will do it but myself!"I stated before running into the room and locking the door behind me.

After a long night of endless begging from my aunt to rethink my decision, I put on my cheapest gown and took a carriage back home. By the time I arrived in the village, it was already evening. The coachman helped me down and after I paid him the amount due, I started walking towards my house. I knocked on the sturdy door and waited in silence.

"Who is it?"asked a voice which I immediately recognised. It was mother.

"Charlotte."I called out. The door flew open.

"What? Can this be true?"she squealed in excitement before she wrapped her arms around me and we hugged for some moments.

"Mother, who is it?"asked a voice from inside.

"Oh Benjamin!"I greeted as I rushed over to him and patted his head.

"You're back already sister?"he asked.

"Yes. I bet you missed me, didn't you?"I smiled. He shrugged and went back to his room. Mother closed the door and I followed her to the kitchen.

"Tea?"she asked.

"Please..."

"What happened sweetpea?"she asked as she sat down beside me.

"I heard about Adrian-"

"I am so sorry sweetpea. I didn't want to hurt you."she said looking worried.

"It's alright. Well, it will be."I reassured her. "I came back for you and the boys. I want to be here for you. It is not Adrian's duty or anyone's duty but mine to care for you."

"You are so mature dear..."said mother as she smiled.

"Husband or no husband I will find a way to make things better. I promise."I said and mother intertwined her hand with mine.

***

About three days later, I was up early preparing to go out for a short hunt when I heard loud stomping sounds of hooves coming from outside. I peered through the window to see a large carriage had stopped just outside the house's front door. A few moments later, I heard a loud knock on the door. Afraid the knocking would wake my mother and my brothers, I quickly answered. I opened the door to reveal the Duke of Carlisle along with two of his page boys. He smiled as he saw me.

"Your grace?"I asked feeling puzzled.

"Lady Charlotte... I hate to find you here."he stated.

"Why your grace?" I asked. "Is there somewhere I should particularly be?"

"I heard rumours that you forfeit the season but I had to see for myself."he added.

"Well, it is true I am afraid."I said as I fiddled with my apron.

"How do you do it?"he asked curiously. "Can you even forfeit your spot?"

"Clearly you have never seen a girl stand up to our chauvinistic society yet."I said feeling quite proud of myself.

"I've seen you..."he began. "But why did you do it?"

"I believe that is not your concern your grace."I protested.

"Understandably so."he remarked. We remained in silence for some moments before he spoke again. "Anyway, I came here to ask for a favour."

"I am not sure I can be of service-"

"I am willing to pay you with twelve ivory-crafted arrows."he said cutting me off. "Surely you cannot refuse..."he smirked.

"I refuse."I said plainly and he gasped at my statement. "I am sorry your grace but it is not arrows I need but money to buy medicine for my ill mother." I explained.

"Very well. Would you do me this favour for the price of these twelve ivory arrows in the form of coins?"he asked, his eyes begging me to accept.

"I shall do it... for the money."

"Very well."he sighed with relief.

"May I ask what is to be done?"

"You see, my pain of an uncle is still not convinced that I am worthy of being the Duke of Carlisle instead of him and he keeps rambling about how a good Duke must have a betrothed to bear him sons."he began. He must have seen my face turn pale as he quickly continued. "I will not ask you to do any of the sort but I would like you to act as my betrothed wife-to-be during his mid-season visit to my castle so I can prove to him that I am worthy of the title."

"Very well."I said nodding in approval.

"Wonderful."he said as he turned to leave. He stopped in his tracks and turned around to face me once again. "I will see you in Carlisle in two weeks. I will send a carriage for you." With those final words he was off. I was still standing in the doorway when I heard someone calling my name. I looked to my left to see Adrian approaching me with a grin.

"Charlotte!"he smiled as he hugged me tightly.

"I'm back!"I said as I hugged him back.

"Who was that?"he asked refering to the Duke.

"I met him at the season. No-one important."I lied. As a duke he was very important and he was particularly important to me now that I had a deal to honor.

"So you are actually back for good?"he asked.

"I like to think so..."I trailed off as our lips connected.

Legends from the Highlands: Seeking Freedomजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें