Prologue

The bluebird on the sill sings its sweet tune into my ears. I slowly open my eyes adjusting to the dimly lit room, full of the colours of the morning sky.

A new dawn, a fresh new day with fresh starts and interesting new beginnings.

I gracefully stand up and change into my leather trousers and boots. I put on my cotton tunic and lace it up quickly before swinging my arrow sling around my neck and picking up the bow from the high shelf. Mother insisted I keep it out of reach so that none of the boys would dare get any foolish ideas. I stride out of my room into the kitchen where mother is already setting everything up on the table. I grab a knife from the cupboard and strike it against each arrow, sharpening their heads. I then shove the knife in my left boot and snatch a bun from the table. I split it in half with my fingers and place some crumbs on the windowsill for the bluebirds to peck at.

"Leaving already?"asks mother in a hushed voice as she sees me starting towards the door.

"Same time as usual ma."I mumble.

"Stay safe out there..."she says as she wraps her arms around me.

"I try my best."I say with a small smile as I pull out of her embrace. "See you by noon... with a nice fat rabbit if I'm lucky." A cool breeze greets me as I walk out into the street. No-one is around at this time which is absolutely ideal. No witnesses means no suspucious looks and gossipers marking my every move as I stroll down the lane with a handful of arrows and a bulky bow.

Just before I turn the corner, I glance behind me to see mother watching me from the door... like she always does, like she always did to dad too.

By the time I had arrived at the heart of the woodland, the sun had risen just above the peak of the nearby hills, teasing me from between the gaps in the tree line and branches. I prowled slowly through the silent wood, marking my every step for a single crack or snap could make or break the day's catch. I paused for a second observing my surroundings. Slowly, I looked into the depth of the neverending trees and heard a swish from a rather close place. I slowly followed the sound which seemed to be repeating itself every few seconds or so. I slowly traced the prey until I managed to spot a long husky golden tail. A fox! They had become so rare that I had never actually hunted one down myself. I just knew what one looked like because I'd seen one hung up on the door of The Tavern.

Knowing how sly foxes could be, I slowly ascended up a tree, climbing branch by branch, waiting for the fox to near me until I could get a clean shot at it. I dropped a dead mouse I'd brought with me just below the tree branch I was hiding in and waited hoping to lure the fox into my trap. I spotted its bushy tail and then its pointy ears making its way closer toward the rat. I slid an arrow out of my sling and pulled it along the bow. I steadily took aim as the fox stopped just below the branch I was sitting on. Just as I was about to release the arrow...

"Blaargh!"shouted a voice.

Startled, I shot the arrow which landed in a grassy area metres away from the fox which by now had spotted me and run away to its den.

"Wonderful..."I huffed angrily. I reached onto a higher branch to get a better view of what was going on and see who the bloody freak who made me miss my chance was.

"How many of those beers 'ave ye had last night lad?"said a voice... different from the first one who spoke.

"I'd like to ask ye the same damn thing."said the first lad.

"How about you try some pure skotch whiskey tonight eh? Scot's finest trade..."replied the other.

"How 'bout you both shut your big mouths and try catchin' somethin' ay?"interrupted another voice. I stretched on my tip toes till I finally saw them. Three built men one with a beer belly, the other two seemingly fit. Slightly tanned but spoilt, carrying knives and a flask full of what I supposed was alcohol.

I quietly watched as they walked off until the coast was clear for me to make my way to the ground.

After another search, I managed to follow a rabbit. I almost shot an arrow through its ear but was interrupted... again, by one of the men I had spotted earlier who oddly enough seemed to have lost his way. I observed him from behind a bush as he looked around calling for help. He sat down on a sturdy rock when I saw it. A pair of black beaded eyes watching him from the trees. My mouth opened but no words came out as the creature lashed out at the man. The man yelled, shocked as ever as the black bear tackled him to the ground. I watched in shock as the man attempted to hit the bear with his knife but missed. The bear then charged at the man who was helplessly lying on the ground. I wanted to remain hidden but my hands forced me to take out an arrow. I pointed at the bear and just before the bear could reach the man who had closed his eyes in preperation for his death, the arrow hit. The man stood up shaking. The bear collapsed to the floor with an arrow plunged at the heart.

I froze to the spot as the man slowly looked around him. Then, he saw me and our eyes met...

"You... you saved my life!"

I had been spotted.

Author's note: I hope you enjoyed the prologue of the story. I've been forming the beginning of this story for so long in my head and I can't believe it's finally here.
I hope you guys will enjoy the rest of the book...

-Rani248mik14