14

Brantley' P.O.V.

As I lay there watching sunshine sleep, I contemplated my next move. Reviewing the note that was secured to the brick. 'You took mine. Now I have come for yours.' Over my dead body... I thought furiously. I growled deep in my chest, and sunshine snuggled closer, clinging to me as she slept. I knew how this was. I still had nightmares about that day..

Flashback to Fallujah- 2013
"Ma'am! Are you alright?!" I yelled, cautiously approaching the woman walking along the abandoned road. My team was searching for a known terrorist on one of those top 10 lists. We had cleared miles of land behind us, and narrowed his location to this small area. The woman kept coming towards us. Head down. Not acknowledging our commands. "Stop!" My spotter yelled in a few different languages. No response. I got a bad feeling in my gut. Just about the time I warned my crew, she whipped open her robes, displaying a monster suicide vest. A bright red button on her chest. She started yelling in Arabic. The translator rapidly telling us what was being said. When she reached for the big red button on her chest, I had no choice. I fired one round, dropping her to the ground. Had she blown that vest, she would've taken out my entire team. It was her or us. And I chose us.

Present:
Later we found out that the woman was the terrorist's long term lover. Even though she was trying to activate a suicide vest, he still swore revenge on me for the killing shot. I growled again, and tucked Hannah underneath me. My hand idly stroked the grip of my pistol, tucked under my pillow. It was a comforting weight in my hands. I swore right then and there, that I would end this once and for all. I would let no harm come to my sunshine. I'd fight for her until my dying breath. This threat over her head would be handled; and may God have mercy on their souls. Because I surely won't. I've walked through the valley of the shadow of death, and I fear NO evil.