2

Hannah's entire body seemed to sway towards me as she let out a kittenish mewl. That high pitch, desperate little sound made all of my testosterone make its presence known. I wanted to tuck her in close to me and bury my nose in her hair. I wanted to be near her. To take in that sunny disposition. I needed her to smile again. That just a little bit too wide toothy grin that made breathing just a little easier. I wanted to quiet the demons that had been blissfully quiet since she first spoke. I wanted to stroke my fingers across the soft skin of her throat before I wrapped my hand around it. I wanted to lead her. Guide her. Teach her. I wanted to fucking own her. I stepped back and shook my head, trying to stop the carnal thoughts. Hannah looked at me with wide eyes, her cheeks still red. Just then, a car backfired in the parking lot. It sounded eerily similar to a gun shot. My entire body went tense, my eyes snapping to the front door. Arguing. I heard people arguing. Too far away to make out anything other than aggressive angry shouts. I felt like the walls were closing in on me. It was getting harder to breath, and I was sweating bullets. A man jostled me as he walked passed, and reacting on instinct, I grabbed him and pinned him down on the conveyor belt. The cashier gasped and stepped back quickly. Catching myself, I released the man and apologized, stepping back. "Sorry. I just.. I need.. I gotta get out of here." I rumbled, looking around me. Hannah grabbed both of our bags, then took my hand and dragged me outside. "Where are you parked?" She asked, her voice soft. I clicked the button on my keys, the alarm on my truck chirping. She grabbed my keys and ushered me into the passenger seat. She climbed up into the driver's seat, her feet dangling. "Flashback?" She asked. I nodded. "I'm sorry if I scared you-" she cut me off. "Don't apologize, and you didn't scare me. Are you alright now?" She asked genuinely. "I need to touch you." I growled. Her eyes widened and she leaned away from me quickly, getting the wrong idea. "That came out wrong. Really wrong." I explained, holding out my hand. She took it cautiously, letting my calloused hand engulf her silky palm. Once again, my mind went silent. "So where are we going?" She asked, putting my truck in drive. "I need sleep. This may sound like a strange request, but I'm begging you. I haven't slept in days. Please just stay with me for a few hours. I'll explain later." I pleaded, knowing I probably sounded like a lunatic. "Brantley... How long have you been back in the country from your deployment?" She asked softly. "4 days, 16 hours, 23 minutes, and 42, 43, 44 seconds." I answered quickly. "And how long has it been since you've gotten any sleep?" She kept her tone soft. "Much longer." I rumbled. "Is that why you're keeping me close?" She nearly whispered. I nodded. "Since I met you in that store, all the bad shit in my head has gone quiet. You bring peace. Calm. Hope." I whispered. She nodded, and followed my directions to my house.