7

"Why are you almost naked?" Hannah giggled. Her cheeks pink as she stared at my abdomen. "I was sleeping on the porch when  Barney Fife showed up." I shrugged. "On the porch?" She asked. "I couldnt sleep. Went out to smoke. Then I dozed off. I didn't take the time to grab clothes, I needed to get to you and see for myself that you were ok." I explained. The events of the day hit Hannah all at once. I saw as the emotions swirled and overwhelmed her. "Ah shit, come here baby girl." I tugged her up into my arms as the dam broke. "I-I just had my car checked over. I don't understand h-how the brake lines would be worn down so s-soon." She sniffled and hiccuped into my shoulder. I paused. Hannah's car was fairly new. Her brake lines shouldn't have been worn down at all, slam thing didn't quite add up. I loaded the teary eyed girl into my truck and buckled her in. As I pulled into traffic, I asked the questions on my mind. "Sunshine was anyone angry at you enough to try and hurt you?" She looked at me with worried eyes. "You think someone cut my brake lines. You think it was intentional." I nodded. "I want to come through your car myself. I don't trust the cops to be thorough enough. They've chalked it up to brake failure, but my gut says that's not the case." I explained. Hannah nodded and relaxed back into the seat. Traffic slowed ahead of me for the upcoming red light, so I pressed on the brake. Fuck. Apparently Hannah's car wasn't the only one tampered with. "Brantley?" She questioned. I looked around for the best option. We were rapidly approaching stopped cars. "Brantley why aren't you slowing down? You look angry. Oh no! No no no... Not again!" Hannah cried and braced herself. "Fuck, hang on sunshine." I growled and put my foot to the floor. I cut off a car in the right lane, then jumped the curb. As my truck accelerated, I jerked the wheel and we went sliding around the sidewalk corner, and we skid back onto the highway. I kept my speed steady as I dodged traffic, trying to get us out of the city. We kept this up until I saw a mechanic shop up ahead. "Baby this is gonna get a little sketchy. Trust me?" I asked Hannah. "Always." She said firmly, and braced herself. I moved into the left lane and cut the wheel hard, bringing the bed of the truck around and launching us into the parking lot. When we stopped sliding and the truck came to a halt, we were parked in front of the shop's door, dust from the parking lot swirling around us. I slammed the truck into park and killed the engine. "You ok sunshine?" I asked Hannah and turned to her. She nodded shakily. "That was pretty impressive.." She blushed. We both laughed then. "Shit I impressed myself with that one." I grinned.