11

Hannah swept up the broken glass, and I folded the note and tucked it into my wallet. No use calling the cops, there's nothing they'd be able to do anyways. I'll handle it myself. I was still fuming when we finally sat down on the couch. Hannah crawled into my lap, but I set her aside gently and stood, moving to the arm chair. She blinked quickly, trying to hide the unshod tears. "Hannah I don't think we should do this. I've made a lot of enemies over the years, and this just proves it. By being with me, I've put a target on your head. I swear on my life that I won't let anything happen to you. But we can't be more than friends Sunshine." I told her. I could barely get the words out, my chest tightened as I spoke. "What? No... please, don't. Don't say that Brantley. Please!" Hannah cried earnestly then. I looked down. "I'm sorry, but this is how it has to be." I said sadly. "Take it back!" She growled, her lip still quivering as tears slid down her face. "What?" I asked her, a bit shocked. "Take it back!" She sassed, furiously wiping her eyes. Hannah stood quickly, her pink teddy dangling from one hand, her other hand curled into a tight fist. "You're my Daddy! Just because some psycho is throwing bricks through your window, and slicing our brake lines won't change that! He already targeted me. So why shouldn't we be together now? I'm safer with you than I am without you! I won't give you up. I can't." She paused to breathe. Her little arms wrapped around herself tightly, her teddy crushed to her chest. Hannah's entire body trembled as she stepped closer to me. "Please don't leave me Daddy..." she sniffled, and my heart broke. The last of my walls came crumbling down. I reached out and snatched Hannah into my arms, cradling her in my lap as I rocked us. "I'm sorry Sunshine. I panicked. The thought of anything happening to you... God baby. If anything ever hurt you, I couldn't take that. You're all that's good in my world. You're my hope. My faith. My Sunshine. And I need your light to find my way out of the darkness. As long as you'll have me, I'm yours Little One. Completely yours." I swore, cradling her even closer, and burying my nose in her hair. Hannah finally relaxed and burrowed in even closer to me. I sighed in relief. The thought of not having Hannah in my life was like a knife in the gut. In such a short amount of time, she had become the most important person in my world. I'd die before I'd let anything hurt my Sunshine.

Author's note:
Hi lovelies, first I want to apologize for the shortness of this chapter. Second, I'm sorry for the typos. Lol. I'm heavily medicated, and too impatient to spellcheck. Love youuuuuuu!