6

Author's Note:
If you haven't pre-ordered Brantley's new album yet, I highly suggest you do. He's been periodically releasing songs off it, and his latest one, "Tried to tell ya" will make you cream your panties. Guaranteed! Lawd have mercy!

After we are, I dropped Hannah back at her car. We exchanged numbers and parted ways after I gave her a big bear hug. I was hooked on this girl. I headed home with a stupid grin on my face, content to grab a shower and some sleep. Once I got in bed, the restlessness was back though. I dozed off finally around 1am, but the nightmares started. I kicked off the covers and gave up. Heading downstairs, and out on to the porch, I lit a cigarette, and leaned against the bannister. Glancing behind me, I saw Hannah's sweater lying in the rocker where we sat earlier. Chuckling to myself, I picked it up and brought it to my nose, inhaling her scent. I sat in the rocker, and rubbed the material of her sweater between my fingers. The soft pale pink material looked funny in my big calloused hand. But it helped. Before I knew it, I dozed off and slept peacefully, right there on my front porch.

I woke up to the sound of a car flying down the driveway. Standing up, I saw a cop car flying towards me. Shit. This couldn't be good. "Mr. Gilbert? Brantley Gilbert?" The deputy asked in a rush as he ran up towards the house. I nodded. "What's wrong?" I asked immediately. There was an accident this morning. A young woman's brake lines were slashed. She lost control of her car and flipped. Hannah Bellington." He said in a clipped tone. "Is she ok?!" I roared. He took a step back. "Sir I can't say. She's in the hospital, but the nurses haven't been able to calm her down long enough to look her over. She's been screaming for 'Brantley'. You were the only Brantley in her phone, so we were hoping you could settle her down." He said. "Which hospital?!" I growled. "Athens General" he said quickly. I blew past him and jumped in my truck, not taking time to dress. I got the highway at 70mph, in nothin but my boots and my boxer briefs, with the deputy trying to keep up behind me. I paid no mind to red lights or speed laws, my only goal was to get to Hannah and see if she was ok. When I screeched to a stop at the hospital, I grabbed my hat off the dash hand slammed it on my head. Then I took off for the entrance at a dead run, the deputy beside me. We paid no mind to the nurses station as he escorted me straight to Hannah. I got some strange looks at my attire, boots, boxer briefs, and a hat, but I didn't give a shit. When we got to Hannah's room, I heard her crying before I even opened the door. "No! I don't want any meds, please no! I want Brantley! Don't touch me!" She sounded terrified. I roared and sling the door open. I stomped in and shoved the male nurse across the room, preventing him from giving Hannah the sedative. My sunshine was curled up in the corner on the floor, her knees pulled tight to her chest, head down. "Sunshine.." I croaked out. "Daddy!" She sobbed and launched herself off the floor at me. I caught her in my arms and crushed her to me, finally able to breath now that I knew she was ok. "I'm here baby, I'm right here."  I rumbled, I scooped her up and sat in the rocker, tucking her close to me and started rocking. She sniffled pitifully and my heart broke. "Baby I know you're scared, but I need you to tell me what happened, ok?" I kept my voice low. She wiggled in closer, and nodded. "I- I was going to work, and when I got to the red light, I tried to stop. But.. But I couldn't. My car just kept going. Then a truck hit me, and it flipped my car. I think I passed out. When I woke up, I was in an ambulance, then here. No one would tell me anything. I was scared. And they wouldn't let me have my phone." She hiccuped and tucked her head back into my chest. I tried not to tense up, tried to keep the rage at bay. "Sunshine if I stay right here with you, will you let the doctors check you out?" I asked her as calmly as I could. Hannah grasped my hand and stood. She walked over to the hospital bed and sat. The male nurse went to approach and Hannah shrunk back into me. "Not him." She whispered. I growled and he scampered off. I raised an eyebrow at Hannah, "He gives me an icky feeling." She explained. After being checked out, and being released from the hospital, we went to find the deputy from earlier. "Where's her car?" I asked roughly. "At the police impound. Looks like the brake lines were just worn down. So she can pick it up whenever." He said. I fought the urge to shake him. My chest rumbled, and Hannah laid her hand on it to keep me calm. "Have it towed to my house." I said simply. "We don't really do that sort of thing." He snarked. I tucked Hannah behind me, and brought myself up to my full height. "Excuse me boy?" I let my voice drop deeper. "I uhh... Yes sir. I'll personally see that it's delivered tomorrow morning." He stammered and backed up a few steps. I nodded once and turned around, ready to bring Hannah home. She curled into my side. "Why are you almost naked?" She giggled.