3

When we got to my house, Hannah and I headed inside and I dropped face first onto the couch. Expecting her to sit in the chair, or get comfortable, she sat down on the floor, both of her little hands holding one of mine. "Sleep Brantley." She whispered and brushed her cheek against my knuckles. I cradled her face in my palm, and she nuzzled into my hand. I was asleep in minutes.

What felt like hours later, I sat straight up and roared. My eyes couldn't focus and I was sweating. I dreamed that I was back there. I was frantic. Looking around, I couldn't grasp where I was. What was going on. Grabbing for my pistol at my waist, I quickly pointed it in front of me. "Brantley!" I heard a woman yell. "Brantley!" Again. Where was she? Protect her. "Brantley snap out of it!" The voice called out. Gotta keep her safe. I roared and spin around. "Who's there?!" I growled, baring my teeth. A tiny little body wrapped around me. My vision cleared. My pistol clanged to the floor. "Hannah?!" I asked, my voice still rougher than I'd like. "Jesus! Hannah, are you alright? I didn't... Please tell me I didn't scare you. My God, please tell me I didn't hurt you. Are you alright?" I croaked out. Panic rising. What if I swung at her? What if I wouldn't have snapped out of it when she grabbed me? What if- there were too many questions. I dropped to my knees and locked my arms around her. My face buried in her stomach. "You're trembling." She said. "No, that's you sunshine." I rumbled, still shook. She went to her knees as well, wrapping her arms around me. "I am so sorr-" she cut me off. "Don't you dare apologize." She said sternly. "But what if I would've hurt you?" I asked her pleadingly. "You wouldn't have." Hannah answered surely. "How do you know that? I'm a loose canon." I said, my head buried in her neck. "No you aren't. Brantley, you never would've hurt me. The entire time, you kept pushing me behind you. Kept saying that you needed to protect me. That you had to keep me safe. You wouldn't ever hurt me Brantley, I have faith in you." Her words were honest, and sure, and heartfelt. I sat back on my heels and pulled her into my lap, cradling the beautiful little creature in my arms. I held her as if she were the most precious thing in the world, and to me, she was.