Chapter 16

Emily's P.O.V

"Emily Parker!" A voice yelled behind me.
"Oh My God! It's you!" A young man, probably my age walked to me, he was well dressed. Wait, is that Collen?
"Collen?" I said more as a question.
"Yeah," he smiled.
"Wow, you look great!" I smiled, he really did.
"No look at you," he smirked.
"Still can't take a compliment hey?" I asked.
"I never understood Genetics, I don't know how I got an A in biology," he smiled.

"I'm sorry, I'm still shocked," he exhaled, it's like I was a celebrity or something.
"Me too," I was polite.
"Coffee? Please let me take you out for coffee, and let's catch up," he begged.
Catch up? For real? We weren't that close in college. Give me break. But poor guy, coffee won't kill me right?
"Sure," I smiled.

"The Emily Parker," he said again, we walked to a nearby coffee stand and he bought the coffee. The weather outside was calming, I can't believe I didn't notice it earlier. I mean it's New York, always busy but the weather was still.
"How long has it been?" He asked.
"Five years," we both said.
"I have a lot of questions," he said.
"I bet," I exhaled.
"Doctor?" He asked.
"Cardiac surgeon," I replied.
"Wow, you made it!" He smiled, that somehow came out offensive.
"I'm sorry, I mean all because of the drama you went through," he said.

Drama? That's the word you chose really? I would have took trauma more nicely. But drama, that's a no no!
"You transferred, never said goodbye," he said.
"I'm sorry," I laughed. It was not funny at all, what did he expect me to do. Okay, breath in and out, you've been through this Emily.
"I'm not mad or anything, I mean I don't blame you, I would have probably transferred too," he said.

"I'm sorry you don't want to talk about it," I guess he noticed my change in mood, I'm really happy to see you Collen, please don't make me think otherwise.
"No it's okay," I faked a smile. It wasn't but let's test how I'm coping, I'm on the last stage of grief and I need to talk about this, like Jane, my therapist says.
"How are you doing?" He asked.
"I'm moving on," I said.
Come on tears, go away!! Every freakin time tears form when I remember that day. It's been five years, come on Emily.

"I can see that, you're married!" He referred to the ring I was wearing. Poor guy, I guess rumours do leave something's out. It was still the ring Aden gave to me.
"No, I mean yes, it's complicated," I smiled.
"I guess another douche bit me again," he joked.
I laughed at his stupendous joke.
"Hey, I tried contacting you but you never replied to any of my emails," he said.
"Oh, I'm sorry, I never did?" I asked.
"Yeah not even one, I sent like thousands of them," Awkward!

"I'm always busy, you're lucky you're sitting down with me and besides many people complain about my social life," I laughed.
"It's okay, my prayers got answered though, last night I told God that if he doesn't land you to me, I'd kill myself," he joked again.
I almost spilled my coffee at his joke.
How dare he!!
"S**t! I'm sorry, lose mouth," he said as I glared at him.
Having coffee with him was not a great idea indeed.

"It's okay," I lied. It wasn't okay! I so wanted to splash him with this hot coffee, I'm not a fan of coffee anyways. How could he be so cruel, bad choice of words Collen!
"No it's not, I'm a jerk!" He said. Yes you are.
"Maybe a little," I said.
"Thank you," he smirked.
"That's more like it," he chuckled.
I smiled, like for real this time.
"I missed that smile," he noticed. I got to say I missed it too.Emily with the big smile, I wasn't that Emily anymore.

"So what is Collen Grunt been up to these years?" I changed the topic.
"Well, I'm a pediatrician and I moved here to New York two years ago," he said.
"You love kids that well huh?" I said more as a statement than a question.
"Sure do, me and my girlfriend are actually expecting a baby boy," he said.
"Wow, that's great! Congratulations!" I cheered.
"Thank you, oh she loves your book by the way, she still thinks I'm lying when I tell her that we went to the same med school," he said.