Chapter 61

"Rey," Finn said shaking me awake, "Rey, are you ok?"

"Yeah," I lied.

"What's wrong?"

"I had a nightmare," I said, "I've been having them almost every night."

"You've struggled with that for a while. What's this one about?"

"There's this man," I started, "I don't know his name, but he's large, and sweaty. And he always seemed to be drunk. There were beer bottles everywhere, and the man seemed furious. Do you know who that was?"

"It was your stepfather Plutt. It's a long story."

"We still have another hour of driving, without traffic included. I think we have time."

"There's a reason I've censored this from you for the past few months," Finn started.

"I'm not a little kid," I sighed, "so spill."

"Your mother divorced Luke when you were a baby, and got custody of you, but Luke got your three siblings. Soon after your mom remarried this man named Unkar Plutt. Unfortunately your mom died a few years later, leaving Plutt with full control over you. As a child, you served as his slave, cooking, cleaning, and performing any other task he requested from you. As you got older, he began to beat you. Nobody had any idea."

"How did you find out?" I asked, connecting my dreams to the truth.

"I was at your house for a project and left my jacket. I came in to you being beaten by Plutt with a baseball bat."

I looked at Finn, "Is he still alive?"

Finn nodded, "He has another year left on the prison sentence, we'll see what happens from there."

"Will you keep me safe?"

"Yeah, of course I will Rey," Finn smiled into my eyes, "I always will."

~~~

"Finn!" An excited voice exclaimed.

"Hi mom," Finn responded to the woman, giving her a hug.

"Don't stay away for as long this time," Finn's mom smiled. I think he said her name was Jessi.

"Mom, is Tyler here yet?" One of Finn's sisters yelled down the stairs.

The middle aged woman sighed. "How about you come say hi to your brother and I'll tell you." With in seconds a teenage girl came running down the stairs in sweatpants and a t-shirt, a mirror image following close behind.

"You got your hair cut!" Finn told one of the girls, "I thought you loved it long."

"Addy and I were sick of being mixed up. We played rock, paper, scissors to see who was saying goodbye." So Madison had short hair, Addy had the messy bun.

"Have you guys ate yet?" Jessi asked Finn and me.

"No, I hope you guys didn't wait," Finn said, "if I knew we were going to get all that traffic I would've left earlier."

"We were, but when Rey texted and said you were just entering Kentucky at seven, I thought we'd be best to go on ahead and eat."

"It's no trouble. Would you guys like leftovers?"

I shook my head, Finn doing the opposite, "with all the crap Finn insisted we buy, I don't think I can eat for a few days."

Jessi nodded, "Finn's father is the same way. We have almost half the drive you two do, and the man still spent $200 for four people at Kroger. I think he fails to realize that each person doesn't need a bag of chips, candy, and drink for every hour."

"I guess we'll have enough food if there's a road closing accident," I joked.

~~~

"Finn?" I asked as he laid down in bed, "Do you think we could be something more?" Finn looked at me, somewhat surprised by my question.

"Why are you suddenly wondering this?"

"I don't want to waste my time. You said we didn't always have the perfect relationship, and I'm starting to wonder how many other children you have. I just need to know that I'm your only one."

Finn stared into my eyes, a sincerity covering his face, "I'm glad to know what you want, because I want to be more soon," Finn said, pulling me close to his side. Soon after I fell asleep in his arms.

I woke up that next morning to an empty bed, a note taking over Finn's spot.

Went to breakfast with Harper. We'll continue on the road when soon after we return.

I looked over at the clock, to see a the time 7:30. Either I had just missed Finn, or he left early. I took this time to look around Finn's old room. I was guessing his parents had changed nothing.

I climbed out of bed, debating about whether or not to get ready, Finn had told me that you never know who could be at a gas station, and any photo taken could go viral and spread lies, but I didn't see much of a point of looking decent, when even the good pictures spread lies.

I eventually decided on concealer and mascara. It was enough not to look like I rolled out of bed, but less than what I would normally wear in public. I personally preferred this more natural look. I took my hair and placed it in three buns, going down the back of my head, Finn said that used to be my signature style.

I next went to the small suitcase Finn had brought in, all our other stuff in the car, searching for what Finn had brought for me. I pulled out a grey tank top and leggings, with a thin black jacket. Finn did better than I expected him to. Than again, I had really low expectations, and was somewhat scared to see what he had in the main suitcase.

I started to make the bed, trying to remember how it was before Finn threw me into it, starting off our fun night.

"We're back!" Finn exclaimed as I placed the final pillow on his bed. Harper, I assumed, clung to his side, "you about ready to get going again?"

I nodded, "Just give me a minute to get everything together," I responded, walking towards the bathroom.

"Here, I'll take it, why don't you and Harper get to know each other."

"Hi," the young girl smiled, "I'm Harper."

"I'm Rey."

"I know. My daddy has pictures of you. He hides them in his drawers and told me to keep them secret," Harper told me.

"He does?" I said animated.

"I think he really likes you."

I smiled, "hopefully," I whispered, trying to find a shift in conversation.