Chapter 1

"Rey," Mrs Solo, the Life preparation teacher, said, I looked up from my paper which I rarely did, "you will be partnered with Finn." I nodded, not allowing Mrs. Solo to see my in-excitement about working with Finn. He was considered one of the populars, on the football team, friends with Kylo Ren, the lead cool kid, and almost made many cheerleaders pregnant. He didn't take school too seriously. I on the other hand had to get a B or higher if I wanted even a chance for scholarships to a college far away from here.
I began to get lost in thought as a shadow approached my desk.
"Hi," he said, "I'm Finn, I don't think we've really met before." Of course we hadn't met, me being about as antisocial as you can get. I was that girl who brought a book to lunch and never talked to anyone unless it was needed. Of course now was one of those times.
"Rey," I said rudely. It was over haft way through the school year! How could he not know my name? "What do we do for this project again?" He started, "I wasn't paying attention." You have got to be kidding me. The teacher said she'd be going around to each set of partners and explain the project. Maybe if Mr. I don't give a Crap had paid more attention he'd know that.
"She's coming around to explain," I sighed under my breath. He nodded before an awkward silence formed.
"Alright!" Mrs. Solo said way too enthusiastic, "Mr. and Mrs. Finn Brewer, how soon after marriage do you want children?"
"I'm sorry?" I said confused, "I don't understand."
    "For this project you and your partner will become married and receive a doll for a child. In order to pass you must be a successful family. So you got married today. How soon do you want children?"
   "Oh, um, I don't want kids," I said, Finn looking over at me.
   "What if your husband wants kids?" Mrs. Solo felt the need to ask.
  "It's my body. If I don't want kids we aren't having them." I angrily let out.
   "No kids and you loose 20 points."
   "Rey's right," Finn said, "no kids."
   "I actually take that back. I want one child right now." I said quickly knowing the importance of this grade.
    "Whatever," Finn said.
   "Congratulations on your daughter," Mrs. Solo replied carrying a small child like doll, "What are you naming her."
    "Miranda," I said quickly before Finn could say anything. Mrs. Solo nodded before going on to the next group.
"Why did you name her so quickly?" Finn asked.
"Miranda? Oh, um, was my moms name." I said wondering how deep he would go into the sentence. If he were to find out about my mom, the whole school would within seconds. I thought about correcting myself but when I saw Finn give his whatever shrug, I decided not to draw any unneeded attention to that matter. I also made sure not to show the sadness in my words. He was the first one I had even mentioned my mom too since she died in first grade, causing all my friends to hate being around me and betray me.
    I began to read through the packet about how to care for the baby, and tips for making a fake living. Finn looked over my shoulder, making me uncomfortable as he definitely was focused on my flat breast for a moment. "It's like second grade again. This should be easy."
    "Easy? Finn we have to take care of this child from 8am-10pm. We hate each other! How are we supposed to do this? Oh, and Finn, my eyes are up here," I said rudely using my fingers to draw an invisible circle around my face.
"Sorry," he said giving me puppy eyes, "so on a more serious note we need to give each other contact information. Can I just have your number and address," I quickly wrote down my number however hesitated with the address, for if he were to come at the wrong time, my life would change. I decided to write down my address however made a note telling Finn to call before arriving. He handed me his paper. I looked at the address, Meriagold Manor, Nashville Tennessee. (This may or may not be a real place) That was one of the richest neighborhoods in the state! I began to loose focus thinking about who Finn was compared to me. He was rich and came from money, he probably had a meal cooked by his maid that was eaten with his Disney Movie family. After dinner he probably spent the time many spent with homework, in his indoor pool and hot tube finding a cheerleader dumb enough to do it with him. That's how most families in that neighborhood live. I, on the other hand, was almost completely opposite.