Chapter 5

"Hey," I said awkwardly as Finn approached the counter, "what would you like?"
    "I'll have a large skinny caramel latte and what ever you want."
    "That's sweet Finn, but I can get it myself. By the way that will be 4.32." Finn handed me a card, giving my an uncomfortable smile. I handed him back the card hoping someone else would  come needing to order soon . I went over to help Alex, Finn still trying to speak to me. I looked to my left and saw Joel walk in. Joel came in before I left, I punched in my order, and slid my employee card to get the discount.
What you do with the employee card, is slide it when you first come in, than slide it when your about to leave. It registers how long you've worked for, than adds that amount to the card, every time you purchase something, it takes haft the value of it and puts in on the card. At the end of the month you scan your card an a check prints out.
After a few minutes I grabbed the small iced coffee and started walking towards the door, "Rey," Finn said definitely trying to flirt.
"Listen," I replied sternly, "I know your type, you're the one night heartbreaker kind of guy. We are strictly partners, just that. You hear me?" Finn nodded, fear in his dark eyes, "so stop trying to get me. It's not going to happen," I ended with.
"I was actually just going to ask if you wanted a ride," Finn said. I looked at him.
"Sure," I said, "sorry about that," I laughed getting into Finn's Mercedes.
"It's fine, just what do you have against me?" Finn asked. I sat in thought for a moment. I thought about my father, dads were supposed to be a role model for men for there daughters. I clearly didn't want anything like dad, causing me to not have any idea what I want.
"It's not just you, it's all men," I finally replied, "and I don't have anything against men."
"You're not? Or anything are you?"
"No," I shook my head. I could easily tell Finn everything right there, I was 16, I knew dad would get sent to jail, and I'd be away from him. I didn't know where I'd go though. Probably a crappy orphanage or something, I didn't thing I had any living relatives or any close friends who would be willing to take me in, "I just  don't know anything about men," I finally added, "I guess I'm just waiting to find someone who makes me feel in love, who tells me I'm pretty, even though I know I'm not."
    "You're beautiful," Finn said, "know will you go out with me?" I gave him a look, one that sent a I know you are lying and I will not go out with you vibe. "How will you know?" Finn asked.
    "Girls just know," I replied, "there's something perfect about the man, that's how we know."
    "How do you know it's not me?"
    "Because your you."
    "You'll change your mind, once you get to know me."
    "Ok hotshot, tell me about your self."
    "My parents are both doctors, so I don't see them much, I have a younger brother named Jason, he's in middle school. I like to Netflix. And for the future, I want to play football in college, but than I want to take a year and explore the world. After the year I want to get married and settle down, probably be a teacher or something, have children, live in the suburbs."
   "Wow Finn," I said, "I didn't know you were that deep. I always thought of you as the Joey Tribbiani or Barney Stinson type."
    "I love Friends and How I Met Your Mother! Now tell me about yourself."
    "My dad is a bank teller, I'm an only child. My real name is actually Rachel, but at a young age my mom started to call me Rey. I want to go to college far away from here, and become a writer, either screen or novelist. I want to live in a large city, get married, probably not have any children."
     "What about your mother?" I sat in silence.
    "I'll tell you if you tell me your deepest secret."
    "Promise not to tell anyone," Finn said, I nodded, "my real name is Finnland." I covered my mouth to hide the laughter. "My parents met in Finnland. My mom had always wanted to name her first child after where she met her husband. They couldn't have met in Dallas."
    "Ok," I said looking at the stoplight which had just turned, "you're the only person I've ever told this to," I started to tear up, "my mom died in a car accident. Back in first grade."
"Oh my gosh Rey," he said giving me a hug, "I'm so sorry."
"I guess you know why I'm a year younger now."
"Wait you're a year younger?"
"Yeah," I nodded, "when Mom died, it started to effect me at school, it was towards the beginning of the year, so I did an online schooling program until middle school. I did the schooling over summer, so by the time I went back to school for middle school, I was a year older."
"So when's your birthday?" Finn asked beginning to drive again.
"May 17," I said, "yours?"
"I turned 18 on August 13."
"Thanks for the ride," I said getting out of the car in the parking lot.
"No problem, see you in life prep?"
      "Of course."