The Talking Hat

"Why is it that everything has to be so complicated with wizards?" Richard asked, while carring Aurora's bag on his back, wheeling a cart, with a small black trunk on it. "To many heavy things..." He complained.

They were already in Kings Cross Station.

Richard glanced at Aurora.
"And do you really have to wear that out in the open?" He asked, glaring at Aurora, from head to toe. She was wearing grey socks below her knee, a simple white buttoned shirt with a dark grey gymslip, with a pleated skirt, above it. She had a black tie and one of the three plain black robes that she bought in Madam Malkin's store. She knew that she would pass by later to buy her new house robe. Or at least she hoped to.

Aurora smirked.
"Of course! I am proud of what I am." She answered, with a snub nose.

Richard looked around and saw that her outfit was calling the attention of the people around them.

"She's going to a costume party." He laughed, awkwardly, suddenly talking to a man that passed by. The man was a little scared. Aurora thought that her father seemed a little crazy.

"Please, don't embarass me, dad." She chuckled.

"That wouldn't even cross my mind." Richard grinned. "So, where is this platform? What's it's number?"

Aurora checked her ticket. "Platform nine and three quarters."

Richard stopped, looking at her and then behind. "Aurora, sweetie, there isn't a platform nine and three quarters."

"Are you sure?"

"We just passed platform nine, but there wasn't one with that number."

"I'm just reading what says here. I'm not blind." She said, showing him the ticket. "Yet."

They walked back, until they reached platform nine. They were now standing between platform nine and ten.

"Do we need to tap the wall or the number nine?" Richard asked, clueless. "Don't you have a spell for this?"

"I don't think there's a spell that makes platform nine and three quarters appear." She answered, scrubbing her lower lip.

"Excuse me?" They heard someone ask. They turned around, and saw a girl with short curly red hair and pale skin. She was wearing small golden steampunk goggles. "Do you need help finding the platform to Hogwarts Express?" She asked, in a soft tone.

Richard was stunned by her looks. Weird looks. He thought that she was weirder than his daughter.

"Actually, we do." Aurora answered. The girl seemed somehow familiar.

She laughed.
"You don't remember me, do you?' She asked. Aurora didn't seem to, especially with those weird looking glasses. Were they just an accessory or did she really need them?

"I'm sorry, but I don't have a clue." She laughed, embarrassed.

The girl took out her goggles, revealing her, slightly, olive green eyes.

"Oh!" Aurora uttered. "Lyra!"

Lyra smiled. "The one and only."

Aurora couldn't help notice her delicate voice. She was cute.

"She's a girl I met in Madam Malkin's store. She's also a first year." Aurora told Richard. Richard nodded. "What are you doing here? Couldn't you just catch the train from Diagon Alley?"

"I could, but I came to say goodbye to my uncle." Lyra answered.

"Is that so?" Aurora looked at her ticket. "So, how do we get to the platform?" She wondered.