Chapter 36

We're surrounded by total silence. It lingers in the air along with the lavender smell, a reminder of Josh who is now gone.

When I turn round, Mum is staring forlornly at the table. Maisie is still playing with her Teddy like nothing just happened and Daddy didn't just leave the house. But I know that in a while we'll have to deal with the consequences. It won't be long until she'll be screaming and crying and I'll have to find a way to calm her down.

"Amelia," my Mum says quietly from the table, "Why?"

I turn round, not wanting to reply but I know eventually I'll have to.

"Why what?"

"Why did you... give those names into the police?"

I bite my lip so hard that I swear I can taste the blood running through my mouth. I don't swallow it.

"I... don't know."

She frowns. It doesn't really suit the moment. "But why? There must be a reason."

I take a step towards her, feeling the lump in my throat form all over again. "Mum, I don't know! It just sort of came out! They made me swear at the beginning of the statement that I would only tell the truth and they said that nothing bad would happen—"

"You don't truly believe that, do you?"

I shake my head. "No. Not now. I don't know but there just seemed to be so much pressure that it seemed... easier."

My mother nods. "I understand. But you still could have thought a little quicker on your feet. You could have, I don't know... said it was dark in the attic so you didn't see anyone and they would have believed it. And you wouldn't have been lying since it actually is dark." She wrings her hands together. "Something like that."

I can only hang my head in shame. "I'm so stupid. I was just so dumb!" Mum frowns at that, face melting with sympathy. "And what are the others going to do when they find out?" I burst out, feeling the rush being too much and now everything is coming out. All my thoughts and fears are spilling out on the table. "They're going to think I'm a traitor! Dad won't love me anymore and Angie will hate me. And... Josh..." I cut myself off, voice turning into a squeak until I find I can't continue any further.

My mother rises from the table as though in alarm. I find my way into her arms, tears falling and falling and not stopping—never stopping.

"No one can blame you for what you did," murmurs my mother in comfort. "It was a difficult situation. Now shh... Stop crying. Don't start Maisie off."

I sniffle and pull away, once in my life feeling grateful that someone actually understands me.

"Now," my mother says. "Go to sleep, ok? You look knackered."

Hi everyone! Hope you're enjoying the story so far!!

My friend gave me this idea that, because I don't know what to write next, I'll give you options and you can vote on what should come next. I'll have a think about it and post the options in the next chapter.

Happy reading!

xanabanana66x