Chapter 28

Before I can even think a single thought and before Dad can take another step up the stairs, my little sister comes walking out from the living room. I realise with a jolt that she doesn't know what's going on. She hasn't seen Dad yet so she doesn't know that he's back—there's a part of me too that doesn't know that he's back; I can't seem to process any of this.

Mum seems to realise this too because she blocks Maisie's way into the hallway.

"Maisie, darling," she says, her voice soft. "There's someone we want you to see."

My tiny sister looks up at her, eyes wide. "Who, Mummy?"

My mum smiles and bends down. "You won't believe who's come home, Maisie."

I can see Dad grinning as Maisie's eyes grow even wider at the sight of him and somehow in the next second, she's in his arms, shrieking 'Daddy's home!'

But then there's a knock on the door. Something tells me this isn't another person to call a happy family reunion.

"Dad," I say quickly but quietly so the people outside won't hear. Everyone falls silent at my outburst. "Go to the attic. Now."

There's something alarming in Dad's eyes as he drops Maisie in my arms and hurries up the stairs, almost whacking his head on the doorframe in the process.

"Mum," I give her Maisie. My little sister is staring up after our father like she doesn't know why he's suddenly gone. "Take care of Maisie. Tell her not to say a word about Dad. I'll open the door and they'll come in and search the house. Don't let them go in the attic. I repeat. Don't let—"

There's a second knock, louder this time.

My mum looks worried but she nods and carries Maisie down to the kitchen. I turn back, feeling the sweat forming on my hands. The only solution is to rub them on my jeans but that doesn't calm my nerves and the sickening feeling in my stomach.

But I take a step forward and open the door to let the enemy in.