One Shot #66: Endless Trails

"Why did I agree to do this again?" Margot asked, lagging behind.

          "Because you're the best girlfriend in the world." Jacob responds, five strides ahead of her.

          "Now I want the real reason." Margot huffs. Jacob walks back and offers his hand as she struggles up the steep hill.

          "That is the real reason...that and the guys bailed on me."

          "I knew it."

          "I didn't ask you only because I figured you wouldn't want to come. But you are the best girlfriend in the world for coming anyway. I mean look at you," He turns to look at her. Sweat practically drenched her body from head to toe and he never felt more grateful for her. "You're a real trooper." She playfully punches his arm.

     For most of the hike, they were silent. It was not awkward nor was it unsettling. They managed to enjoy each other's company in the presence of pure nature. From time to time, other couples young and old would pass by Margot. She would see the same type of couples that would show up on her instagram timeline doing fancy couple exercises and yoga poses. Jacob was the type to go to the gym every other day. As for Margot, the gym was water and she was hot oil in a frying pan. It wasn't for her and for that reason, she used to think that Jacob was not for her as well. His love for activity and the outdoors made her more aware of her body and the differences between it and his. Those thoughts were sometimes like venom to the brain, ultimately distorting her view of almost everything she came in contact with. Jacob was oblivious to the toxicity inside of her; what he saw in her was completely different.

     As if on cue, it started to rain. At first slow, then altogether at once with full intensity. It was a backdrop to Margot's current mood and part of her embraced it because it fit so well. She just stood there until she felt something grasp her hand to pull her along.

          "Come on. I know where we can go." Jacob says, his fingers intertwine with hers.

          "Where are we going?" Margot asks, almost out of breath.

          He pushes her into a small shelter before answering. "Here. You don't remember passing by this old shed a while back?" She shakes her head. "Look at you, you're soaked!" Immediately, he looks around for something to dry off with.

           "You are too."

          He dusts off a plaid blanket and wraps it around her. "Here, take this."

          "You need it too." She says, but he starts pacing the small four wall room before taking a peek outside. She sits down in the corner.

     Margot didn't have to see to know how hard it was still raining. It hit the shabby roof with such force, as if it were hailing too. After a few moments, she quickly opened her arms waiting for Jacob to see. Her arms became tired, but she persisted until he turned around to see her. Silently, she beckoned for him to come to her and he did. Down he went into her arms and under the warm blanket.

          "Thank you." She begins.

          "For what?" He asks.

          "Taking me hiking today."

          "Didn't turn out to be the best day for it. I looked at the weather report yesterday and---" He begins to explain before she stops him with a kiss.

          "It's ok." She smiles. "Any day I get to spend with you is a good day."

          He looks at her with adoration but couldn't help to blame himself. "Even if we're stuck in a tiny old shed in the middle of nowhere?"

          "I like to think this shed is quite cozy, if you know what I mean." She says in response, brushing his wet hair away from his forehead.

          "Are you trying to romance me, Margot?" He cheekily asks her.

          She looks at him as if it's obvious. "Well, I mean it's not a candle lit dinner or anything but---" Jacob instinctively kisses her back, only this time it becomes a continuous session leaving the two breathless. He moves down, leaving a trail of sloppy kisses from her jaw bone to her neck. Margot's panting turn into screams, almost drowning out the god-like boom of thunder. Through the cracks in the walls, she could see the bolts of lightening follow.

          Immediately, Jacob lifts his head. "What's wrong?"

          "Did you not hear that?" Her voice laced with panic.

          "You're not afraid of a little thunder and lightening, are you?" He teases her. He shifts their two damp bodies in the blanket until he's cradling her. She rests her head back onto his chest, but he can still feel how frigid her body is. "There's nothing to be afraid of." He whispers in her ear.

          "What if the roof caves in?"

          "It won't."

          "But what if it does?"

          "Do you trust me?" He asks softly. She nods her head slowly. "I will protect you."

     With every pound of thunder, Margot found a way to snuggle deeper within Jacob's arms. He didn't mind at all; in fact, he loved feeling her so close. Even when it seemed she couldn't get any closer, he craved her touch even more. Despite the unsettling sounds of the storm, Margot found herself lulled to sleep. Slumber tempted him as well, but he was determined to stay awake so he could keep his promise to her. There were many times where he truly thought the shabby building would collapse around them. The storm didn't end until just before dawn. One by one, then soon altogether, birds began to chirp as if they were singing a harmonious tune to tell Margot and Jacob it was now safe.