One Shot #29: Fall of 1945

The days were far from dull. Just a week ago, President Truman announced the end of the war. The second great war. My father, who fought in the great war, would always tell me stories of his experience. Well, not me exactly. He figured the stories were too graphic for "his little princess" to hear. I would, however, sit on the staircase, hidden by the shadows, and listen to him as he told my brothers. It sounded like the be all and end all. Never would I have conceived that I'd end up living through the exact same, if not worse, thing.

     The group that I've been volunteering with is holding an unofficial party to celebrate. We've invited as many soldiers as we could and to show our gratitude, some of the group's best singers are supposed to perform for them. I want nothing more than to be able to sing, but I guess I'll have to find another way to show them my appreciation.

     Sneaking out my house was easy as pie. The party was in the basement of a local jazz club and bar. It was in full swing by the time I got there. A band was playing Sinatra and men in uniform flooded the room. Some smoked by the corner, some drank their troubles away and some were swingin' in the middle of the floor with the girls. A smile grew on my face as the care-free atmosphere washed over me. There was nothing to worry about anymore.

     Before I could even figure out how to snatch a glass of booze, a slow song came on. Oddly enough, more people went out to dance with their partner. Frozen, I stood there not knowing if I should take a drink while no one was looking or find a dance partner myself.

          "You know, I saw this beautiful dame from across the room but she looked on edge. I was wondering what a pretty gal like you was so worried for? The war is over, or did you not hear?" This young man sarcastically asks. In shock, I look him up and down. He was fitted in full formal uniform, just as the rest. My eyes travel back up to his face. What a dream boat he was!

           "Its silly..." I shake my head. "Compared to what you've been through, my worries are nothing."

He takes me by the hand and leads me to the dance floor. "Its a celebration isn't it? Lets not talk about the war." I just nod my head in agreement, mentally scolding myself on ruining this, whatever this was, already. We swayed to the mellow rhythm. One hand in mine and the other on my waist, slowly finding its way to the small of my back.

          Trying to make it better, I say, " Its supposed to rain later, I think." I mentally slap myself.

          He just smiles in response. "What do you think they're talking about?" He nods his head over to a couple of guys who look like they're having an argument.

          "I don't know. That man's got some beef with the short one. Maybe the short one's been sleeping with his old lady, but he didn't know." I say almost whispering in his ear. "He was lonely one night and payed a call-girl to show him a good time, then somehow, the other man caught them together."

          We both laugh, almost hysterically. "For such a spiffy looking gal, you're quite the dead hoofer."

          I laugh, trying to shake away the embarrassment. "I'm sorry. I've never slow danced before."

          He looks back at me with a comforting smile. "Don't apologize. Alright, close your eyes."

          I look at him skeptically. "Are you trying to make a pass at me?" He smiles as he tries to hide the growing redness on his cheeks.

          "Close your eyes," He repeats in that melodic tone. "and focus on the rhythm." After a few moments, he gently takes my hands. "Step forward with your left foot as I step back with my right. Then, bring you other foot forward. Don't worry, we'll only sway around the room. Promise me you'll let me know if I'm going to fast for you." I nod my head.

     By the time I got the hang of it, the song had changed. Disappointment flooded my emotions. Why couldn't the song last forever? Snapping me out of my thoughts, He takes me by the hand and leads me out the cellar door.

          "It was getting stuffy in there, wasn't it?" He asks nervously.

          "Yeah, a little." Silence fell between us as we had no idea what to say next.

          "Care to dance?" He asks as he holds out his hand.

          "But there's no music."

          "We don't need music. Find the rhythm like you did before."

     This time with confidence, I closed my eyes until I heard the same sound as before ring through my mind. I took his hand as he gently placed his other on my waist. We swayed in the small yard behind the building. Kids celebrating too, would occasionally light fireworks in the street. I would have never thought that by the end of the night, I would be in the arms of a handsome man and that I, just a small town girl, was able to make him forget, even for just one night.

                                                                      The End.