One Shot #23: New Year's Eve

This year, I was completely content with staying in for the new year. I came back up to my home town for the holiday season and almost forgot how cold the weather can be. The fluffy blankets and warmth from my laptop were too much to leave. I couldn't even think about changing out of my night clothes.

                 As if on cue, the phone rings. Dropping my snacks on the bed, I pick it up before reading the caller ID.

                                                   "Hello?"

                                                   "Hey, Lana! I need you." My friend, Jill, answers.

                                                     I chuckle. "What do you need?"

                                                   "Please, please, please come out to a party with me!" She begs.

                                                   "You know I planned to stay in tonight." I remind her.

                                                   "Yeah but...but...please just come! Everyone else bailed on me and I promise we'll only go to one party." She explains.

                                                    "You were planning on going to multiple parties?"

                                                    "Who only goes to just one?"

                                                    "I do, if any." I respond.

                                                    "Well that's why I'm taking you! You need to get out more."

                                                    "If I go, you owe me!"

                                                    "I owe you for having fun?"

                                                    "Alright, fine. I'll be ready in 15 minutes."

                After a huff and puff, I drag myself off the bed and take a quick shower. Most of my time was spent trying to pick out some party clothes. It wasn't exactly my plan to go out much this year, so I didn't pack a lot of dressy stuff. In the basement, I was able to find a black knee length dress with gold sequins on the sleeves that I wore years ago. Paired with stockings and wedges, I was ready to "party hardy"...or at least drink by the bar. The doorbell rung as I was finishing my makeup.

                On the ride there, I made Jill promise that she would not leave me since I didn't know anyone there. Of course, I should have known she wouldn't keep it. It only took one glance in the other direction for her to sprint off somewhere into the crowd. Sighing, I made a beeline to the bar. Despite there being a room full of people, I couldn't help but feel like I was being watched.

                 Drinking enough to feel buzzed, I got enough confidence to jump into the crowd and dance. Soon, I became lost in the music. Strangers, who were much more drunk, came up left and right to dance. Suddenly, I felt a hand slide up my dress from behind. I immediately turn around to slap the sleaze. Quickly, I walked off the dance floor for some air. I walked up to the second floor and found a quiet room to relax in. I stood in awe when I discovered it was a library. Almost every wall was made into a bookshelf. I slid my fingers against the spine of each book as I walked around. The slight thump of a book dropping nearly gives me a heart attack.