Chapter 6

Who I Am

"I guess this is where it starts huh?" Luke chuckled. "I have no choice but to tell you it all now I guess." He said looking down still flashing that award winning smile.

God. That laugh.. It rumbled throughout the entire parking lot in the best way possible. His smile made the city lights look dimmer. It was so luminous and warming. I got so lost in his looks I didn't even realize I was staring.

"Like what you see?" He asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry. Ugh I'm so embarrassing" I said shoving my face into my hands as if I was blocking out the entire world for a few moments.

"Hey relax, it's alright. I'd stare at me too." I didn't miss the grin that came along with that response. My jaw dropped and I was rendered speechless.

"Come on. The view is better from the rooftop" Luke said grabbing my hand.

We skimmed through the museum. Luke was dead set on making it to the roof.

After finishing up we took the elevator and when the doors opened I didn't see anyone else. We were completely alone which had me grateful but slightly nervous. I enjoyed being alone with Luke but at the same time he had so much control over me. I could be laughing uncontrollably one minute then dead silent and redder than a tomato the next. I hated that he had so much power. Especially considering I'm dead set on focusing on school.

He guided me over to the ledge where we looked over the city. This was something I NEVER saw in Kansas. It was both refreshing and magical. There was so much energy radiating from the active nightlife.

"So.. you wanna know who Luke Parker is, huh?" He started up, shoving his hands into his pocket.

"Do I get to hear the story in third person?" I joked. "Well it would be nice to be more than strangers.. but from what I've heard you're no stranger to others" I was surprised I even mustered up the courage to say that. I got butterflies right after.

"Very funny" he rolled his eyes. "Haha yeah it would. So, Luke Parker. Freshly graduated. I play football, that's kind of why everyone knows me. I have a full ride to UCLA to play for them actually.. which doesn't happen often. That's why I'm so praised I guess. Everyone around us is so "proud of me". Truthfully, they only use me for bragging rights. It's predicted that I'll be drafted in the NFL before I even graduate." You could visibly see him tense up. His voice followed.

"So, is that something you want? To play in the NFL?" I asked slowly. I never took my eyes off of him.. I wanted Luke to know that he has my undivided attention. It's obvious this wasn't easy to talk about for him.. I was baffled that he was talking about it to me.

"Oh yeah, I love football. It's my thing. I just hate how people use it to their advantage. It's always been this way though. That's why I'm so stand offish. It was never anything against you personally, Cheyenne. I just have to put this guard up."

That explains a lot. That explains why he never gives anyone the time of day.. especially girls.

"Girls always try to sleep with me just to say they did. Not gonna lie, I've taken the opportunities a couple times but otherwise they all reek of desperation."

When he admitted to actually sleeping with them it made my stomach drop. I put on a smile and acted like it had no affect on me. Especially because it shouldn't.

School Cheyenne. School.

"On top of that, everyone tries to be best friends with me. Guys try to bond with me by talking about all the girls that we have in common or even casual football talk. I love football but it gets old. That's why I stick to my circle.. which you've somehow wedged your way into." He stated when a stern look.