Chapter 4

Come Home

I woke up hearing a slight breeze and the birds sing. Smelling the fresh ocean air and.. pancakes? I stood up from my bed and followed the smell to the kitchen to find my dad cooking.

"Morning. How was your night?" He asked while flipping a couple pancakes.

This was weird. Back in Kansas he would've been all over me with questions. What time did you get home? Where were you? Who were you with?

This time was a simple "how was your night?" Oh no.

"It.. was.. good?" I said walking around the island with a questioning look. "Is everything alright?" I felt his forehead for a fever. "If we were back home you would've attacked me with questions by now"

He shrugged his shoulders still focusing on the food. He was a great cook. "Chey, you're going to be starting college soon. I have to let you live a little. Plus, I don't worry about you like your mom does. You can handle yourself pretty well and you know how to stay away from dangerous situations for the most part. I didn't raise a damn stupid person."

I couldn't help but grin. He was finally releasing me. No curfew, no chores, no being told what to do and where to go. Just living.

"Stop grinning like an idiot and go get your grandparents. Breakfast is ready!" he said teasingly.

We all ate breakfast at the table and I told them about my new friends and plans for the day. My dad was okay with it because he decided he was going to go visit the house he grew up in and explore some things himself.

After I finished and washed up my plate I ran upstairs to get ready. I had to hurry since it was already 9:30 and I take forever to get ready. I added some curl to my hair, did my makeup, and threw on an adorable floral romper all after a refreshing shower.

I hear my phone go off and see Dylan's name on the lock screen. It made my heart race a little.. Dylan was a cool guy.

"Hope you're ready, we're five minutes away from your house" it read.

To finish up I brushed my teeth one last time, put on some lotion, and spritzed some perfume on myself.

That's when I hear a knock on my door with a happy Dylan following through it.

"What's up buttercup?" He asked throwing himself down on my bed. I heard the voices of my other friends talking to my dad.

Oh no please don't embarrass me dad..

"Am I dressed appropriately for today's events? You never exactly told me what was on the agenda." I asked nervously.

"You look amazing Chey.. you ready? I want a chance to talk to your dad. He seemed like a pretty rad dude" he said propping himself up on his elbows. My dad was. He had a knack for getting along with teenagers seeing as he's a wrestling and football coach.

"Ready as I'll ever be" and we headed down.

Everybody was laughing at my dad.. he can be pretty entertaining. He's a shorter guy, only about 5' 7.. it runs in the family. Up until my brother, he was the tallest in the King family. His short stockiness makes him even funnier.

After some introductions and "getting to know each other" conversations we left to go get in the vehicles. I looked outside to see an Audi, a jeep, and a brand new camaro. They were all sleek beautiful cars. The Audi belonging to Kai, Jeep was Dylan's and Camaro being Luke's.