Update

Hi all,i have not written in a while so for those who took an interest in my nephews story i wanted to give you an update especially my good friend @stripey who asks regularly  how my dear nephew is,i wanted to thank you all for your interest and concern.

So its been about four months since my nephew 'F' was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes,it's been a rough few months to say the least,everyone adjusting to the change in our nephew,son,grandson,cousin,going from a seemingly normal and healthy active child to one with a chronic illness takes some getting use too i can tell you.

We are all used to it now although when he has "hypos" it's extremely scary!,we have had some  hot weather in england lately and its really played havoc with my nephews diabetes,I can't tell you how many hypos in a day he was having because of the pesky heat!,i was just wishing it away so he didn't have them,it was a relief when the rain started coming down finally!.

We had concerns last month as he picked up a stomach bug,for anyone who may not know much about type 1 diabetes a stomach bug can be potentially life threatening,it was only recently i heard of a young man of twenty one who died after picking a stomach  bug up (gastroenteritis) that anybody who doesn't have type 1 would of easily got over,i never would of guessed that could happen before i got clued up about type 1 because of my nephew.i have had stomach bugs many times in my life and although not pleasent within forty eight hours they have gone.

My sister manages extremely well with this sudden change in both there lives,she's an absolute trooper and just gets on with it although i  know it breaks her heart every single day that her first and only child has this condition,she only gets two hours sleep every night since diagnosis,may seem silly to some why she is not getting enough sleep but she checks his blood through the night and has from day one of diagnosis.

she is always in fear he may have a hypo while she is sleeping,she told me of a group she is with on a forum parents  with children with type 1 and one of the mums said her three year old son had passed away in his sleep suddenly he had a hypo so I totally understand why my sister is the way she is,she doesn't want that to happen to her child and if it means she loses sleep then so be it,that's her choice her thing she has to do,i don't know how she does it but she does,she has no help with my nephew either,she has a partner but sadly he's not much use to either of them and she will admit that.

It's not all doom and gloom though,my nephew is the funniest child,he's always laughing and has a wicked sense of humour!,always running round and playing with his toys or watching his favourite programmes on tv,you would never imagine he had a chronic illness,he's a brave boy but i think young children are so adaptable to change and we all say although we wish he didn't have diabetes we are kind of glad he got it now rather than when hes older because he will grow up Just being used to this life,

It's challenging sometimes when he has a hypo and you have to chase him round to try and get him to eat a sweet,in F's case it's a jelly baby!,(a type of soft jelly sweet in England)the sweet is important if he has low sugar it will bring it back up,what baffles me is any other child would be so excited about this sweet!,but it seems he knows why he has to eat it so sometimes he will refuse it,kind of sad hey? as children love sweets,so someone has to really coax him to eat it,we know his sugar is low because he stumbles or trips over or he will stare into space or his colour changes or he goes floppy,so those sweets come out then!,

He is doing great and that is the main thing,he's living a normal life exactly as my sister wanted him too,she doesn't want him too feel any different to any other child Just because he has type 1 diabetes,he's grown into a lovely boy,he is very bright and clever and he isn't three until November but he looks at least five years old he's extremely tall so i guess he's thriving!,he's a big strong boy my curly haired blue eyed nephew and i love him so.

Anybody who ever has a child diagnosed with type 1 at a young age like my nephew it will be okay!,life goes on and do not fear your darling child will be able to live a normal life there is nothing to fear i promise you that.