Chapter 14- Life Isn't Fair

Start from the beginning

I nodded my head stiffly before shuffling towards his room. I couldn't believe that all I had to do was state that I was his 'aunt' for them to allow me to see him; pathetic though helpful. Abruptly, I came to a stop outside his room. I can't do this, I admitted. With a deep breath, I dismissed that thought and knocked on the tightly closed wooden door.

"Blair? What in the world are you doing here?" the question hung in the air for mere moments before I brought my eyes up from where they were burning a hole in the floor to meet a pair of piercing green eyes.

"I could ask you the same thing, Brayden." I smoothly responded, keeping my face as blank as possible.

"Isaiah's uncle is my best friend." his teeth were clenched tight, whether it be because of anger or pain, I didn't know.

"I am Isaiah's physical therapist." I replied, crossing my arms over my chest and cocking my right hip to get more comfortable.

"You have got to be kidding me?!" he quietly exclaimed, throwing his arms in the air.

"Um...no, I'm not?" I retorted, highly confused at his outburst.

"When you told me you were a pediatric physical therapist, I thought you worked for someone. I certainly didn't realize you were the best physical therapist in the state!!" he said, the overwhelming sense of awe in his voice making me uncomfortable.

"I'm not the best in the state, Brayden. I just try my best to help the kids." I mumbled, not liking the ruckus he was making over my career.

"Sure you ain't, darlin'." he responded, his tone sarcastic as he smiled his crooked smile at me. That man sure does have a beautiful smile, I admitted to myself before quickly getting rid of the dangerous thought.

"Am I able to come in, yet?" I smiled teasingly, cocking my head to the right just a tad.

"Sure thing, I am sorry about that." he chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck with his right hand, before stepping aside and allowing me entrance to the small hospital room.

The sight in front of me had my legs frozen to the floor, forcing me to stay away from the hospital bed. Isaiah laid there, multiple machines hooked up to him on various parts of his body looking ghostly white. A small sob escaped my throat as I remembered how she had looked almost identical to how he does now before she died; the pale skin, the limp hair, the steady heart beat that could suddenly drop without a moment's notice. It frightened me that he could pass away at any second. The memory of the night she died, flashed behind my now closed eyes. Soon I could feel the tears spilling over my dimpled cheeks, showing the world my pain. Sobs quickly followed the tears, filling the sullen atmosphere with noise.

"Brooky..." I whimpered, softly. After all this time I still could believe she was gone...

Within seconds of my whimper, two strong arms wrapped around my shaking body. "Shh...It's going to be alright, Darlin'. I'm right here. I'm not going to let anything hurt you, baby."

My body relaxed instantly to Brayden's deep voice, leaning into his comfort and for once I threw caution into the wind. Even as he continued to whisper reassuring words in my ear, the images of the night she died still danced across my closed eyes.

Like a bucket of ice cold water being poured over me, I realized what I was doing. I abruptly tore myself from his grasp, wiping away the tracks that ran down my cheeks from my tears. "I'm fine." I mumbled, padding over to an empty char by Isaiah's side.

I quietly sat down and took Isaiah's right hand, only now noticing Sammy sitting across from me holding Isaiah's other hand, along with the rest of Isaiah's family who stood in random places around the room. I squeezed my eyes shut in embarrassment before reopening them and blankly staring at Isaiah's face, letting the horrific pictures of Brooky covered in blood, her panic stricken face as she realized what was about to happen, the scream of terror that escaped her mouth when the two cars collided. It was my fault...all my fault. I should've been able to save her, I should have been in her place taking that blow. If only life was fair, maybe then she would be the one improving people's lives, not me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know this was a super sad chapter and I apologize....but it was needed. I have decided to start another guessing game.....ready for it?..........how about now?.......drum roll......T

he first person to guess who Brooky is gets.....

A DEDICATION FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER AND A FAN!!!!

Any who....I am extremely sorry about how short this is. Maybe if I get enough votes/comments I will upload again before the weekend???

VOTE/COMMENT/FAN;)