Hold Me Tight

Your arms,
your warmth,
your heart,
I want to see it all

Yoongi let Chaerin drag him outside. She was grinning like a little kid as they unfolded a couple old lawn chairs and set them down in the rain-soaked yard. The metal legs of their chairs sunk further into the muddy soil as they sat down side by side beneath the night sky.

Chaerin let her head rest on the back of the chair as her eyes watched the cloudy sky. The clouds were sparse now, the moon shone brightly, and the stars were out. It was a beautiful night. But Yoongi didn't see it.

All he saw was dark clouds and dark skies and a dark mind. The sky held no interest for him, so while Chaerin watched the stars, Yoongi watched her.

She looked so happy, so peaceful. Chaerin sat comfortably in her chair, her face turned up to the sky. The moonlight reflect in her eyes and made them look even more beautiful than usual. They flitted around like she was trying to count every star in the sky. Occasionally a smile would light up her face before she would frantically tap Yoongi's arm with one hand and point up to a new constellation she'd found with the other. Seeing her smile made some of the darkness lift for a moment. She really was the best thing in his life.

His eyes slid over her face, his lips twitching up at how happy she was.

"I do, you know," Yoongi mumbled.

"What?" Chaerin tore her gaze away from the stars and looked up at him in confusion.

"I do love you," he whispered. "You're my best friend. You're the only person who never gives up on me. And you're the only person that I want beside me, no matter what," Yoongi admitted. "And I love you for that."

Yoongi looked away after making his speech, he could already feel the heat creeping up his neck. But because his eyes were finally on the stars, he didn't notice the gentle smile on his friends face.

Chaerin reached out and took his hand in hers before pulling their intertwined fingers into her lap. Her thumb made gentle circles on the back of Yoongi's palm.

"You're my best friend too," she whispered to him, her smile still in place. "And I'm always going to be beside you, no matter what, because I love you too."

Yoongi snapped around to look at his friend. She was smiling. Chaerin was smiling at him, just like she always did.

"Do you promise?" He murmured.

Chaerin's eyebrows furrowed. "Promise what?"

"That you'll always be there."

Her thumb, which had been rubbing circles on his hand, stilled.

Five years. They had known each other for five years. They had spent every day together for five years. Chaerin had sincerely hoped that because of those years Yoongi would never doubt in their friendship. But perhaps he just needed some reassurance. That was something Chaerin could offer.

"I promise, Yoongi," she whispered to him. "I'll always be there, right beside you." She had never put more truth behind anything she'd ever said. Chaerin meant every single word she told Yoongi, and she fully intended to keep her promise, no matter what.