Shadow

The next day came quickly and at ten o'clock Elaine Hotchner was back at her son's house, but this time, she had a gift for them.
Jack heard a knock at the door and yelled to Emily, who was in the kitchen cleaning up the waffles they made. Aaron was out, because although it was Sunday, he had an important but short meeting at the BAU.
"Sweetheart, get the door. I'm pretty sure it's your grandma," Emily called back. Jack listened to his mom and opened the door to find his grandmother standing there and she had a big surprise indeed.
"A dog!" Jack yelled and bent down to pet it. Elaine let herself in and put the dog leash down so her grandson could play with the animal. She brought over a old golden retriever.
"A what?" Emily asked as she walked into the room. Her eyes nearly popped out of her head when she saw what Elaine had brought into the house.
"Surprise!" Elaine yelled happily.
"Can we keep it?" Jack asked excitedly.
"Only if your parents say so," Elaine told him. Jack looked up to his mother with big puppy eyes and said,
"Please. I promise to take care of him everyday. You won't have to do a thing."
Emily's jaw dropped, but she found herself drawn to the animal. Growing up, she wasn't allowed to have a pet. Last year she had a cat but he died.
Prentiss began petting the dog and the animal jumped on her a little. She of course blocked her stomach and stood up next to Aaron's mother.
"We'll have to see what your father says," Emily told the child.
Just then, Hotch walked in.
"What's going on?" he asked seriously.
Emily was standing next to Elaine with her arms folded while Jack was on the floor rolling around with the dog.
"Your mother brought us a surprise," Emily said trying to hide a smile. Elaine knew she had already won Emily and Jack over so her son was all that was left.
"What?" Hotch asked. He was utterly confused on what his mother was proposing they do.
"His name is Shadow and he is three years old. Shadow needs a family, and I thought you guys would be perfect," Elaine said with a smile.
"No," Aaron said abruptly.
"By Daddy-"
"Jack, we're going to have a new baby here in five months. We can't handle having a dog too. It's just too much," he explained and walked in to the kitchen to get water. The child's face dropped.
He desperately wanted to keep Shadow.
"Let me go talk to him," Emily said softly and walked away. Jack had his arms around the dog and watched his mom walk away.

"Aaron-" Emily said as she walked in.
"Is she crazy?!" he asked and looked at her.
"How could she bring a dog here? Of course Jack's going to want it, but we can't handle owning a pet and a newborn right now!" Hotch nearly yelled. Prentiss could tell he was stressed.
"What's going on with you, are you okay?" she asked and walked up behind him.
"I'm fine," he said lowly.
She arched her eye brow at him.
"What happened at the meeting?" she wanted to know.
"Nothing," he told her.
"I think we should let Jack keep the dog," Emily said truthfully.
He gave her a look, but she kept talking.
"Think about it, he's had a lot of changes happen too. A dog could help."
"Are you sure you're not the one that wants a therapy dog?" Aaron asked with a hidden smile.
"Is that a yes?" she wanted to know.
"It's going to be lot of work," he informed her.
"I know," she said back.
"Please, just let him have this. Jack deserves a break," Emily sighed.
Hotch nodded then walked back into the other room where Jack was with his grandma and dog.
"Please Daddy," the child begged.
"Only if you promise to take care of him. That means feeding him, and walking him," Aaron said.
The child's face lit up.
"Thank you, thank you!" he squealed and got up to hug his parents then grandma.
Emily went over to Aaron and slipped an arm around him.
He let out a huge sigh and looked down at Prentiss.
"Are you sure you're good?" she asked quietly.
"Yeah, just a little stressed, that's all," he replied.
"Emily could probably help you with that," Elaine said with a wink. Prentiss smiled up at Hotch and then leaned her head on him. He wrapped his other arm around her and said,
"My mother is crazy. Don't listen to her."
Emily let out a little laugh, then said,
"We need to go shopping for dog stuff."
Hotch looked up at the ceiling then clasped his eyes and sighed.
"No you don't. I have all the supplies plus food in the car," Elaine said.
"Where did you get this dog anyways?" Prentiss asked.
"Shadow lived next to me with this nice couple, but they're expecting and wanted to get rid of the dog," Elaine said.
Hotch gave his mother a look.
"You do know we're expecting too, right?" he asked and put a hand on Emily's belly.
"Oh, it must've slipped my mind," Elaine said then turned to Jack and said,
"Why don't you help me get Shadow's stuff from my car."
The little boy nodded then follows his grandmother out.
"I know I said it twice but she's absolutely insane," he told Emily then leaned down to kiss her.
Prentiss smiled and kissed him back.
When Elaine walked back in, their lips were still locked together so she said,
"You don't need to de stress now. Jack close your eye."
The little boy dropped the dog bed and covered his eyes.
Emily pulled away from Aaron who said,
"Mom, nothing was happening."
"Clearly, I just stopped it," she argued.
"We were just kissing," he responded.
"Ewwww," Jack said with his hands still over his eyes.
"Jack sweetie, you don't have to close your eyes," Prentiss said with a light laugh.
"There are some more toys in the car Aaron. Why don't you make yourself useful and go get them," Elaine said and walked passed him. Prentiss gave him a funny look then took his hand and led him outside.

They put all the dog stuff in the living room and set up his food and water dish in the kitchen. They already had a collar with the dog's name on it. They just had to register as pet owners now.