08 | the devil is a woman

Start from the beginning

Ria's mouth falls. As if summoned by his name, a toxic sensation twists her stomach into knots. "What do you know about Vincent?" she inquires with tenacity.

"Oh!" The woman places a slender hand over her breasts. "Are you Italian? Your accent is so faint I didn't hear it at first. A redheaded Italian?" She pokes her bottom lip out in a pout. "You're perfect. I'm surprised my sweet Vincent even finds me attractive compared to you."

She must really have a short attention span. She hasn't acknowledged what I've said at all.

Ria decides to take a different approach, seeing as this woman is more fascinated with Ria's looks than the fact that she's in a stranger's home.

"I'm assuming since Vincent was just here a few days ago, you must be the power of great sex and love that's convinced him to turn over a new leaf." A lethal dose of sarcasm drips from her tongue. Sharp pains shoot up her palms as she digs her nails into them.

The gorgeous woman blinks and an actual blush climbs up her cheeks. "Is that what Vincent said about me?" She holds her hands up to her mouth. "Ugh, he's so sweet. I swear he acts so tough and scary, but he's really just an untraditional man who values things just like everyone else."

"Are you kidding me?" Ria snaps. Rage sets fire to her veins and poisons the tip of her tongue. "He ruined my life!"

Guilt cascades her expression as she glances at the ground. "He does do that occasionally, but if you play him right he's no more harmful than a pup."

"He murdered my unborn child and took my only chance of ever having kids again!" The exclamation is breathless and stained with crimson. Fury bleeds into the outskirts of her vision and she takes a hazardous step towards the delusional woman.

She freezes and lowers her attention to Ria's stomach as if the proof lies there. "You were pregnant? Oh dear...that is awful." The oddest thing about it is Ria actually believes the woman feels remorse. Regret dances along her copper-colored eyes and she shakes her head in shame.

"How can you possibly love a monster like Vincent? Why are you here? To torture me further?"

The woman rests her curved jaw against the palm of her hand and sighs. "I'm still working on Vincent and his morals, but it's hard when he doesn't really care about morals. He does what he wants, ignoring the rules of society."

"Okay," Chris finally speaks up, drawing their attention to his perplexed position, "maybe we should sit down and do proper introductions or something?"

"Gladly. I'd love to know who you are." The woman sneers at him with a vague interest. "A friend? Clearly, you aren't Ashton's replacement." She purses her lips. "I guess you're kind of cute." Her eyes creep back to Ria with a flash of fascination. "Nothing compared to her though. God, I wish I could play with you."

Ria chokes on her breath. "What?"

"Shame." She puckers her lips, resembling a disappointed child. "You're not into women, are you?"

How is she able to change the subject this much? "Anyway." Ria folds her arms and leans on her hip. "You know about Ashton. I'm assuming you're here to reiterate how I need to help Vincent find him, right?"

"Wrong," the woman chirps. "Maybe we should introduce ourselves like your little friend here suggested." She points a hand at Chris. "Boy, start."

"Uh..." Strokes of red stain his fair cheeks. He pulls at the collar of his teal sweater and clears his throat. "I'm Chris, her boyfriend."

Distaste contorts her alluring features and she looks at Ria as if expecting an explanation. "Why did you break up with Ashton? Isn't he in hiding to protect you?"