Chapter 5- Colourful Revenge

This chapter is sort of more serious and short, but I hope you like it anyways! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 5

            After yelling some incoherent words, my dad sent me off to my room, as a punishment, I guess. I felt bad for the guy, he was so clueless. I sat on the windowsill and dangled my legs out the window. A cool breeze blew across my face as I stared out at the little pieces of heaven that twinkled in the dark night sky. Suddenly I heard a creaking sound by my door. I quickly turned around to see what was making the noise. It was Paige, looking at me with her big brown eyes. She was clutching onto her teddy bear very tightly. She walked over to me as I got off of the windowsill and closed the window.

            "What's wrong Paige?" I softly whispered.

            "Why was daddy yelling?" she asked, her big brown eyes near tears in confusion.

            "Aww, no reason. Daddy just likes... to make sure I can hear him when he's talking to me."

            "But daddy never yells," she said hugging me tightly. "I can't sleep."

            "Not even with... What's your teddy bear's name?"

            "Bearina."

            "Oh, that's a cute name. Hi Bearina."

            "She likes you," Paige smiled.

            "Aww, I'm so glad Bearina likes me. Oh oh. Bearina looks tired and so do you, little missy," I joked noticing Paige's droopy eyes. "Come, I'll take you to your room." Paige gladly took my hand and in a matter of 5 minutes, she was tucked in her bed and fast asleep.

            I went to grab a picture of me and my mom from one of my unpacked suitcases when I came across a bottle of hot pink hair dye from when I wanted to dye my hair. I smirked at the idea that had just popped into my head. I silently opened my door once again and snuck into Ashley's bathroom. She was fast asleep in her room and didn't even flinch when I tiptoed across her room to get to her bathroom. I quietly opened her shampoo and conditioner bottles and evenly distributed the hair dye amongst the bottles. Then I trashed the hair dye in her trash can and made my way to my room for a sweet, sweet night of sleep.

            The next morning I awoke to a scream and hurried runs down the hallway. I smirked and got up ready to see the result of my prank. To my surprise, I heard Kristen yell, "Ashley! Ashley Clarice Berkshire! Open this door, this instant!"

            I peeked out my door and saw the funniest thing of life. Kristen's hair was hot pink! I held in a laugh. Ashley, who had been in the shower at the time, opened the door and let out a horrified shriek concurrent with Kristen's. I stifled a laugh and Ashley locked eyes with me. Her glare was even scarier with her green hair. I think her shampoo or whatever had a chemical reaction with the dye, which is why her hair turned green, but I have no clue why Kristen's hair was hot pink.

Me- 5. Ashley-4.

            Kristen followed Ashley's glare and locked eyes with me.

"You! You. Little. Ungrateful. Thing! How could you do this to me?"

"Kristen, what- Whoa!" my dad said coming up the stairs.

 Shit! I thought to myself. My dad looked from me to Kristen to Ashley. To my surprise he stifled a laugh. I must admit, it kind of was a funny sight. Kristen with hot pink hair, Ashley with green hair and me trying not to laugh my ass off. That made Kristen very mad which I knew because she stomped off to her room, yelling obscenities and slammed the door behind her with my dad following trying to apologize. I looked at Ashley who just rolled her eyes and slammed her door. And with that wonderful start to my morning, I got ready for school.

I walked down the grand staircase only to find hot pink haired Kristen, green haired Ashley and my dad all unhappily waiting for me at the bottom of the staircase.

"No one told me we had a family meeting this morning," I tried to play this off.

"Jadelynn, this is serious," my dad said sternly. I nodded my head and put on my best serious face. We all went to the dining room where breakfast was served.

"OK, I'm sorry I can't take credit for this. Ashley's hair was meant to be hot pink and Kristen, I don't know what happened to your hair."

"I borrowed Ashley's conditioner and then I had pink hair," Kristen said through tight lips. I could tell she wasn't going to let this go.

"Why would you do this to Ashley?"

I felt like saying 'Because your stepdaughter is a total bitch who deserved it.' Instead I said, "I don't know. I was bored."

"You can't just do stuff like that when you're bored!" he exclaimed.

"Oh really now? I don't think you are qualified to tell me what I can and can't do, Mr. I-abandon-my- family-and-start-another-without-telling-them!"

"Jadelynn."

"What dad?"

"Jadelynn. Kristen and I have talked. We think you need help. Your behavior is self-destructive. You can't go on like this. You're going to have to go to therapy."

"Been there, done that."

"Excuse me?" a shocked Kristen said.

"Been there, done that," I said more slowly this time, just to get on Kristen's nerves.

"I don't believe that," Ashley chimed in.

"Ask mom, she has the reports. The therapist said there is nothing wrong with me. I just don't react well to authority figures or rules."

"I'll call your mother immediately," my father replied. I shrugged and took a bite out of my toast.

My dad drove me to school since he had the day off and my car was totalled. We sat in silence which was only broken by the sound of my phone buzzing. It was a text from Cleo:

It sucks without you & we're all w8n 4 them 2 send u bac. Will misses u, but u knw his ass is 2 macho to admit it. Come home soon & stay bad ;P

I smiled at the text. I missed everyone back home, especially my mom, even though she was always mad at me. Will was my wannabe macho, on and off boyfriend. Although I loved him, he taught me not to care because if you do, you'll only get your heart broken.

"Jadelynn," my dad said pulling me out of my thoughts.

"What?"

"I'm sorry," he genuinely said.

"Me too," I said unmoved. You can't make up 14 years, 11 months and 17 days without a father and feeling like you're not good enough for your dad to talk to you with a simple sorry. "I'm sorry I didn't dye your hair too so you could match with the rest of your family."

My dad let out a long sigh. "I don't know what to do anymore." We sat in silence again until we pulled into the school. I hopped out and didn't look back.

As soon as I arrived at school, I was greeted by glares, stares and numerous whispers. I went to my locker where Vivian and Cameron were waiting for me. Vivian smiled as I approached them.

"What you did to Ashley is totally bad!" Vivian exclaimed.

"Perfectly bad," Cameron smirked.

"Jadelynn and Ashley Berkshire. Please report to the principal's office," the intercom said before I could do anything else. What an amazing start to the school day.