Chapter 1- Family dearest

Chapter 1- Family Dearest

             I scanned the airport looking for a card or a sign with my name on it. I didn't think I'd be able to recognize my father, although I did scan the crowd for a tall dark-haired man, but it was England, so that wasn't very helpful. I finally saw a sign with my name on it. A balding, white-haired man was holding it. He was wearing a hat, but it wasn't good at hiding his receding hairline. The years had not been good to my father. Good thing he and my mom divorced because I mean, look at the man!

            "Ms. Berkshire!" the old man smiled. I looked at him quizzically. Why would my dad call me Miss? "It's me, Jeffrey, the butler." I gave him a blank look. He chuckled and took the luggage cart from me. "You probably don't remember me. You were just a tot, about 2 or 3 when you left with your mother. You still look the same. Just follow me now," he said wheeling off the luggage cart. "Your father wanted to come, but he had a meeting. He'll be home by the time we get there though," Jeffery informed me. "Here we are." He stopped in front of a long black limo. Another man, a chauffeur, got out of the long black stretch limo and opened the door for me.

            "Thank you both," I said getting in. I had no clue my dad was this loaded. If I had, I would've taken my mom up on the offer of living with my dad years ago. We drove for an hour until we came to the big black wrought iron gates of a huge mansion. Seriously, it was like the ones you see in the movies. The gates opened and we drove over a greyish cobblestone paved road to the front of the house and parked in between a large fountain and the polished marble stairs leading to the house.

            "We'll get your bags. Just go on in," Jeffrey smiled, gesturing for me to go up the stairs. I got out of the limo and made my way up the smooth stairs expecting to see my father who would try to make up for lost years. Instead, I was welcomed by a blonde woman and an adorable little girl.

        The woman hugged me and smiled. "Jadelynn, we've been waiting to meet you. I'm Kristen, but if you want, you can call me Mother. Ashley has gone off to get your father and this is Paige," the woman beamed, lovingly putting her hands on the little girl's shoulders.

        I looked at her blankly. "And you are? The neighbours?" I asked.

        The woman laughed. "Jack was right. You are funny. No, silly, we're your family!"

         "Jadelynn, sweetie!" my father rushed in and a brunette about my age trailed behind him. He gave me the bear hug he thought I wanted. "I see, you've met Kristen and Paige."

        "Yea. My family I never knew about," I fake smiled.

        My father laughed. "Didn't I tell you she was funny?"

        "How would you know? You haven't seen me in oh, 15 years and you never even mentioned that you re-married. What are you-"

            "Young lady, you will not talk to me in that manner!" Jack scolded.

            "Why not? I can do whatever I want," I retorted.

            "No, you may not. I am your father and I-"

            "Father? Ha! That's a good one. Do you-"

            "ENOUGH!" he yelled. He sighed. "Kristen, Ashley, Paige, will you excuse us for a minute?" he asked, in a much softer tone.

        They nodded and went into the mansion.

        I folded my arms over my chest. "What? You didn't want your perfect little family to know how you neglected me?" I pursed my lips.

            "Jadelynn-"

            "I go by Jade."

            He sighed. "Jade-"

            "No, Jadelynn for you."

        "Jadelynn, I know I haven't been there for you in the past few years, but that's no reason to act out."

            I scoffed. "You think I'm 'acting out' and because of you? Yea right."

            "It's okay to act out when you feel neglected, but I will not be lenient on you just because of that. You will start school tomorrow and you will be nice to Kristen. You will attend all your classes at Monarch Prep and you will follow our house rules."

            "Don't tell me what to do."

            "Jadelynn."

            "No, I'm serious. I may be in your house, but that does not mean your rules and if you don't like it, you can kick me out."

            My father sighed and shook his head. "Your mother said you'd be like this. I'm not being lenient, but I got you a car in exchange for your cooperation."

        "Are you trying to buy me over? I can't be bo-"

        "It's a custom Lamborghini."

        "What color?" I asked, slightly intrigued. I'd always wanted a car of my own and a Lamborghini sounded very nice.

        "Hot pink. Your favorite."

        "Fine."

        "Fine?"

        "Yes, I shall comply, father dearest," I smiled sweetly. There's a reason my mom never got me a car. A car meant that I could leave whenever I wanted, which meant trouble.

        I was a perfect lady throughout dinner much to Kristen and my father's satisfaction. Well as "perfect lady" as I could be. I think Kristen took a liking to me. She complimented me and implied that I would be a great addition to the family. Paige grew on me. She was adorable. She had big brown eyes and straight brown hair, but she didn't look plain. Ashley however seemed not to like me. She spoke as if I wasn't there and when she did talk to me, she spoke like I was an idiot.

        "Ashley, will you show Jadelynn her room?" my father said after dinner.

        "Of course, daddy!" she smiled.

        I followed her up the stairs and into a hot pink, white and black themed room. Although my father never contacted me, the room was very much to my liking. "Oh Ashley, where-"

            "Don't talk to me; I'm not your friend. I like you way less than you like me. Oh and get in my way and I will crush you."

            I scoffed. "I'd like to see that happen."

            She walked up to me and looked me straight in the eye. "I am the perfect daughter, the most popular girl in school and I can make your life miserable. I command respect."

            "In case you haven't noticed I don't respect control freaks," I retorted.

            "I'm not a control freak, I'm just perfect. The girl everyone wants to be."

            "I'm perfect too. Perfectly bad."

            "You're immature," she huffed.

            "And you're threatened," I spat back.

        Ashley glared at me. Her nostrils flared slightly.

          I raised one eyebrow, challenging her. She pursed her pink lips, abruptly turned on her heel and went to the room across the hall.

        Me-1. Ashley- 0.

        But tomorrow was another day for me to be perfectly bad.