Chapter 20: Jim

We've been driving for quite a while now, it's sometime in the afternoon when Dale C.B.ed us saying he's having engine troubles with the R.V. I get out to a take a look, popping the hood, a thick cloud of smoke emitting from the engine.

"I told you we'd never get far on that hose. I said I needed the one from the cube van." Dale says.

"Can you jury-rig it?" I ask.

"That's all it's been so far. It's more duct tape than hose. And I'm out of duct tape..."

"I see something up ahead." Shane says looking into his binoculars. "A gas station if we're lucky."

Jacqui comes rushing out of the R.V. "Y'all, Jim... It's bad. I don't think he can take anymore." She says before going back inside.

"Hey, Rick, you want to hold down the fort? I'll drive a head, see what I can bring back." Shane says.

"Yeah, I'll come along too and I'll back you up." T-Dog offers.

"Y'all keep your eyes open now. We'll be right back." Shane says getting into his jeep as I head to the R.V. to check on Jim. As I enter the vehicle I take my hat off and take a deep breath.

"We'll be back on the road soon." I say to him. He looks weaker than ever, pale skin and red eyes.

"Oh no." He barley says. "Christ... My bones. My bones are like glass. Every little bump. God, this ride is killing me." He swallows. "Leave me here." He breaths out. "I'm done. Just leave me. I want to be with my family." He says looking out the window. I move closer to him and crouch down.

"They're all dead." I say slowly. "I don't think you know what you're asking. The fever... You've been delirious more often than not."

"I know." He cuts me off. "Don't you think I know?" He tries to get up and groans. "I'm clear now. In five minutes I may not be. Rick, I know what I'm asking. I want this.... Leave me here. Now that's on me. Okay? My decision.... Not your failure."

I leave him in the R.V. and tell the group of Jim's decision.

"It's what he says he wants."

"And he's lucid?" Carol asks.

"He seems to be." I say. "I would say yes."

"Back in the camp when I said Daryl might be right and you shut me down, you misunderstood." Dale says. "I would never go along with callously killing a man. I was just gonna suggest that we ask Jim what he wants. And I think we have an answer."

"We just leave him here?" Shane asks. "We take off? Man, I'm not sure I could live with that."

"It's not your call, either one of you." Lori chimes in. Shane and I go back into the R.V. and take Jim out, trying our best not to cause him any added pain. We carry him up to the biggest tree that sits on a hill beside the highway.

"Yeah... That's it." Jim says as we carefully lean him against the tree. He breaths heavily and looks up. "Hey, another damn tree." He chuckles.

"Hey, Jim I mean... you know it doesn't need to be this." Shane states, concerned.

"No, it's good.... Breeze feels... nice."

Shane lets out a deep sigh. "Okay. All right."

Jacqui goes up next to Jim and rubs his face. "Just close your eyes, sweetie. Don't fight." She says and kisses him on the check.

I pull a gun out from behind me and walk over to Jim. "Jim, do you want this?" I ask, my voice barely audible.

"No." He answers. "You'll need it. I'm okay. I'm okay." Dale walks up to Jim and whispers something to him. Everyone else walks off, everyone but Daryl and Kat.