Chapter 9: Family

"Where's Glenn? And the girl...?" I'm brought out of my thoughts by Andrea's question.

"They should be too far." I answer, keeping my eyes on the road as we head out onto the highway for their camp. All I can think of is how upset Kathrine will be when she finds out Merle isn't with us, how upset her dad will be when he finds out we left his brother in all that.

"Best not to dwell on it," Moreals' voice brings me out of deep thought. "Merle got left behind. Nobody's gonna be sad he didn't come back... Except maybe Daryl and Katherine."

"Daryl?" I ask, Why does that name sound so familiar?

"His brother." Morales explains, and Kathrine's father. I get distracted by the sound of Glenn's car alarm coming up from behind us as he and Kathrine scream and shout as they over passes us.

"Whoo-hoo! Yeah! Whoo-hoo!"

"At least somebody's having a good day." Morales says.

Kat's P.O.V

This is all pretty fun, and Glenn isn't a bad guy either. He really knows his way around a joke and he seems to be enjoying the car ride.

"Whoo-hoo!" He screams for what sounds like the millionth time.

"Glenn!" I yell, "I get it you're excited! Wanna tone it done a notch?" I half laugh, half ask covering my ears with my hands.

He laughs before answering, "Okay! Okay! I'm sorry, I've always dreamed of driving one of these." He answers, rubbing the dashboard.

"Can I drive for a little?" I ask batting my eye lashes.

"You're like 10?!" He laughs.

I punch him in the arm, "Actually I'm like 13! And my daddy always let me drive his truck when we went huntin'." He glances over at me every few seconds as I stare at him.

"Fine!" He huffs, finally caving in. "Only for 10 miles." He adds before pulling over.

"YES!" I scream as I race over to the driver's side.

***

About 5 miles back Glenn switches spots with me, said something about us being close to the camp.

"Whoo-hoo!" Glenn and I both yell as he goes crazy on the dirt road. I love the feeling of wind blowing in my hair.

"Okay! Okay! Glenn slow down a little, not tryin' to fall off a cliff anytime soon!" I laugh as he swerves around a bend.

"Sorry! Sorry! I couldn't help myself you know, Tokyo drift." He says as we both burst into laughter.

"We're here!" He says as we drive up a little hill into a clearing, there's a lot of people, cars, supplies, you name it. We hop out of the car and are greeted with a man yelling at us.

"Holy crap! Turn that damn thing off!" He says.

"We don't know how!" Glenn answers for us causing both of us to laugh.

"Pop the hood, please." He says, "Pop the damn hood, please. Pop the damn hood!" He yells.

"What? Okay okay. Yeah yeah yeah." Glenn says before heading back to the car.

A girl not much older than me approaches me, "My sister Andrea. Is she okay? Is she all right?" She asks frantically.

"What?" I ask as her voice is blocked with the blaring car alarm and other people yelling at each other. "Yeah, yeah she fine." I say.

"Is she coming back? Why isn't she with you? Where is she? She's okay?" She continues to ask as Glenn comes up beside me.

"Yes! Yeah, she's fine. Everybody is." He says looking at the bigger group.