H Ø A X

21. T H E E M P R E S S

      Three identical armoury trucks stood outside the Blood Bank, revealing a trunk full of briefcases, secured with blood vials

      The Empress stood with Carmichael, and Lord Octavius. The trio watched as the trucks were locked and driven away to their destination.

It was Friday, the day her spy had warned her that the Rebels planned to attack. Their target was the Blood Bank, where humans were kept, to sustain the majority of Paris. She didn't take the threat lightly. Not only did The Undead Army, litter the roof of the high rise, they also circled the base perimeter of the entrance.

There was only one way to open the doors, and that was by scanning her fangs with an electronic lock. She was impatient to see how they would pull this off, and most importantly what they planned to do with 1500 disoriented humans.

The Empress couldn't figure out how the Rebels were going to manage their execution of attack. Surely, they had to know this would be a kamikaze mission.

She had debated with herself, whether or not she should change the location for the weekly vial distribution. Begrudgingly, she settled to move it. While she knew it made her look weaker to her enemies, she wanted her focus to be solely on the Rebels. Not, on an influx of her hungry citizens, wandering the gated streets of the science district.

So, today the citizens of Paris, would bring their identification cards and assemble in an orderly fashion, outside of City Hall. Once they were checked in with Carmichael's lab assistant, they would be given their dose, and sent on their merry way.

Now the three waited, facing off into the blacktop street that led to a highway. And slowly time went on.

The morning shifted to afternoon as the they stood, waiting for something to happen. They expected an army, a meagre one at that, but nonetheless they expected a band of scraggly rebels.

"My Empress, who informed you there would be an attack on the bank?" Lord Octavius asked, as he crossed his arms over his shoulders. The scar on his face was scabbing over a hideous tinge, yellowing over with puss.

It disgusted her, and that was saying something, because not many things disgusted The Empress. These days she tried not to look at his face, especially when she was trying to feed. He was resolute to sit across from her in the dining hall.

"I have no need for informants Lord Octavius, my eyes and ears are everywhere, I hear everything."

"So I'm to believe, we've been standing out here for hours, merely because of whispering rumours. Ones that may or may not be true?"

"You can believe whatever you like." She was already irritated enough, this wasn't how she hoped to spend her day. So she snapped out, "you're such a docile bitch when it's just the two of us. Does a third party entice you to be more reckless?"

Carmichael, stood in between The Empress and the Lord, he cleared his throat with a surprised cough. Although, he was quite satisfied that The Empress, was growing to dislike the pretentious Octavius.

Silence stretched between the three once more. And for the rest of the day nothing else was said and nothing else happened. At least, not outside of the Bank, the inside of it was a completely different story.

The monitors on the top floor were flashing blue, as an unidentifiable server crashed the Blood Bank's network.

An unseen threat, had come to start a war of the Internet, hacking into the most cryptic and coded accounts within the high rise.

Each floor had rooms filled with humans who were being stolen from daily. Their blood extracted for the pleasure of others. This was performed by the robots that served as nurses. While the robots couldn't be bribed like regular folk, they could be overpowered. And that's exactly what happened, as the original programming of instructions was stripped from their sensory. Replaced by the instruction to take a smaller dosage of blood, a minuscule change Carmichael wouldn't notice, but a significant change for the humans. In one month's time, they would be able to stand on their own.

If the building hadn't been crafted of one way black glass, maybe one of the Undead soldiers would have seen the flashing of blue. Perhaps even the three vampires who gazed at the road would have noticed them. Alas, no one did.

As the hacker was able to reconfigure the construction of the robot and its end goal. The internet warrior made sure to delete all trace of the crime from the camera. Destroying the evidence of his presence completely. Then in the matter of seconds, he logged off the server that had allowed him access. He had just destroyed the entire bank, with a few mouse clicks.

And no one was any wiser.